Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

alignment trouble 3dmax

EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
trying to match angle and plane

error.jpg

catch is the plane is not flat [according to x/y/z]

some thoughts please
Post edited by EBOLII on

• NBTrekieNBTrekie331 Posts: 0Member
    You want to match the angles of the sphere and the plane?
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    I want the sphere to be on the plane. As if the plane was the flat surface ans the sphere was sittting on top of it or extruding from it whatever the term is..

Basically the plane is a circle which is a light housing and the sphere is the cover but they do not line up yet.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    First make sure the "ground" has a quad at the bottom in the middle. If you have a single vertex there, chamfer it to create a flat poly there. Once you have done that you should be in a better position to align things. If the sphere doesn't have a bottom then also chamfer the top vertex to create a flat poly at the top, then align the top poly of the sphere to the flat poly on the ground object
    that gives me trouble...I don't understand..can you elaborate on that some more please
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't have Max in front of me, but take a look at this page: 3D Studio Max Lesson 1.1: A Basic Overview of 3DSMax's Main Tool Bar

The tool you want is the "normal align" tool. This allows you to select a face on the sphere and a face on the ground to align it to. Give it a quick go and see if you can get it to work
    I know the tool...I have tried it as you say...I am speaking of the face to face alignment creation your speaking of....hope not sounding rude am grateful for the help it seems simple yet so freakin frustrating
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    was the plane rotated in place? can't you just match the rotational angles in the bottom 3 "angle boxes" (sorry I don't know any proper terminology)?