Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Render Filters

SuricataSuricata0 Posts: 0Member
I've been searching the net, but havn't been able to find a solutuon for this query, maybe I'm just putting the wrong words into google!

Anyway, what I'm tring to do is create an image in 3dsmax with the same feel as the image below (taken from the Navyfield game). I am currently modding the game, so it 'has' to have the same feel to it.

hooddocksm5.jpg

As you can imagine, anything rendered in 3dsmax is far to sharp, Is there a filter you can add to max, or would I need to add a filter in photoshop, or is it just a matter of the textures I add? I've attached an image of the rought layout model I've made so far, you can see the image is far to sharp and doesn't really fit the style at all.

Its just my luck really, everytime I try to make real images they look cartoony, now when I want a cartoony image it looks to real!
69671.JPG
Post edited by Suricata on

• spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Textures will definitely make a big difference to how it looks, as will lighting. If the image from the game is realtime then chances are the textures are baked with shadow maps for all static elements and this will definitely make it look slightly different to a rendered light rig. The game may use some DX9/10 filters too, again if this is a realtime capture, but I'm not seeing much in the way of noise, bloom or any of the more traditional effects there

Ther other thing you could do is try changing the AA settings to a different algorithm. That can have a major effect on how the image looks. Again, realtime engines use a limited set of specific algorithms and you may be using something too sharp in Max
  • SuricataSuricata0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. the image itself is pretty static in the game, since its just you 'equiping' screen as such. I've tried a few different AA settings, although I've not had much luck yet. I'll have an attempt at baking the textures *goes off to google to figure out how to do that!*
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    The main differences that I see are that their image has textures that show wear. Textures that look weathered are very important to achieve the look they have. Another thing is that your shadows are a tad too strong, make them softer. One more important factor here is that their model has more smaller details that make it look more realistic. Windows, doors, crates, barrels, pipes, cars, detailed cranes, railroad tracks, train cars. All those little things matter quite a bit, but will obviously take more time. Your colour selection is also a bit different. They have more monotone colours, with mostly blues and greys which gives it that "military base" look. Your water is very...green :) which makes it look very different. You also gotta keep track of the colours you pick to not only fit the image but also make sense realistically. Their floor is light grey with some noise representing concrete, yours is a sorta grey-green mix. It's doubtful that the entire floor of the dockyard would be painted. Another comment about lighting, their fill lights appear to be a lot weaker than yours while their main light that's casting the shadows is stronger. Finally another thing they so cleverly did is crop the image so you can't see where the model ends. This also gives it a bit more realism a dockyard has to be connected to land to deliver cargo there more easily.

You're off to a good start but there is quite a bit more work to do here, why don't you post this in the 3d wips section? You'll probably get a lot more feedback there. Also you could visit military-meshes.com, I'm sure the people there can be of great help as well.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    The standout look of that image for me is that the image looks quite desaturated. You could easily get that part of the effect in post.

Also: Is that 3D or isometric? That might be worth a thought too.

Softer (more steps) bevels might help the edges, and some more fuzzy lighting might help like area lights, or a cluster of tiny weak lights, or a light probe lighting setup.

A touch of film grain after the fact (or just a mild noise filter) might help too.
  • SuricataSuricata0 Posts: 0Member
    I'll be modeling all the pipes, windows, barrels and the like, the image I posted was just the building placement. I wanted to ask about the way to achieve the feel before I put to much work into any textures or models, to save workload on having to adjust to many things. Please don't look at my 3d image and think its a finished product, its just a knockup I made in an hour :-)

I'm pretty sure the image in game is isometric, I've rendered the scene like that too.

I'll try a render when I get home with the lighting changes, desaturation and more bevels and see if it helps, thanks for the suggestions so far :)