Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Linux and 3D Software (curr. a 3DSMax6 user on WinXP)

captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
I am currently using 3DS Max 6 on my PC and enjoying myself. I have no reason to switch to Linux, except that I'm looking into it. I just thought I'd ask, since it's one of the things that I'd have to consider if I did switch to Linux OS...

1) Can I run my 3DSMax 6 on a Linux OS? If so, what else would I need (Wine, VMWare, etc...)?

2) Is there an opensource software that is similar enough to 3DS Max? I tried using Blender and hated every minute of it. The user interface is a nightmare! Is there something else?

3) What about Photoshop? I'm currently using PS 6.0... can I run PS6 on the Linux OS or is there another opensource option similar to it?

Thanks for your help!
CMills
Post edited by captain_mills on

• CryonicCryonic0 Posts: 0Member
    3D on Linux... Well, you have Blender. Newtek's next version of Lightwave works on Linux natively.

If you're using VMWare, then you aren't really running the applications under linux, heheh. Better to just stick to Windows at that point. PS6 is pretty old. Current version (CS4) is 11. 6 Will probably run under Wine, but might be able to use something like GIMP (GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program) instead.