Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

New to 3d

alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
Hi everybody. I always wanted to get into 3d art but never had the money to spare for a decent program. Recently, I discovered Google's sketchup. After watching a fiew tutorials, I was off and running. I'm very new to your world and could use some pointers. What is a good 3d program for a newb to work with that is as easy to use as sketchup? Also, I am trying to texture my first model but having trouble. I have been learning about UV mapping and have seen it used in the 3d warehouse. Any apps out there that work with sketchup? Here's a pic of what I'm trying to texture. Any pointers would be great. I've been drawing this stuff since I could hold a pencil. Turning it into 3d models is very exciting.

PS: How do I get the thumb nail image to show up on the link to this thread?
68875.jpg
Post edited by alleyviper on

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    Hi Alleyviper. welcome to SFM. if you feel you've outgrown sketchup, you should perhaps try blender. i'm sure there are more free alternatives that others could recommend.
  • DmitriDmitri331 Posts: 0Member
    I echo Coolhand's suggestion. Blender is an excellent free program, top (or near top) of its class. There's also a decently large user base on the web for help, tutorials, ect...