Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Triangles

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
What is with triangles? From what I've seen, lots of modeling is done with triangles. I don't really understand; I mainly use extrusion and such to make models. Is this just a not widely practiced method, does Blender not support triangle modeling methods, or does everyone model the way I do and later convert to triangles for some kind of formatting deal?
Post edited by Unknown User on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I can only speak for myself and I dont use blender, but I use quads as a base for my models, and I try to use as little triangles as possible.

Usually, there is no need to have a model completely made of triangles, unless you want to convert it to a game compatible format or something similar.

Most people (I know :p) prefer quads for modeling, as many tools and techniques (like subdivision modelling) work better on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Ok thanks. That makes me feel better. I finally feel like I know what I'm doing with 3D...
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    Just about all models are made up of triangles, in the end - whether the program shows you that they are, or not. Quads are just pairs of triangles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i know that some programs require that you triangulate your model before you import it, an example is RealFlow 4 Fluid Simulator.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    CrimsonLine: That may be, but there is a difference wether you work with quads (be they pretend quads or not) or tris, which is what was asked here.