Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek: Graceful Mesh Lines...How?!

markglassmarkglass0 Posts: 0Member
Hi all. I'm new. Name's Mark! *waves and smiles sheepishly* :),
I've started working in Maya, specifically to make my very own Star Trek starship! haha This is for hobby, and I certainly have no training other than your average getting-started tutorials.

When I see a lot of models on here, I notice the meshes are composed of very flowing lines and complex polygonal geometry. What I'm wondering is how exactly is this complex geometry achieved? Do the modelers start out with primitives with massive amounts of subdivisions and spend days upon days moving each individual vertex? If so, how is the shape uniformly graceful just by eyeballing such detail (besides previously sketched orthogonal diagrams being a good way to base modeling off of)? Or are the models typically built in smaller components and attached together in combination with other tools that somehow smooth out parts of the mesh?

I suppose I'm thinking specifically about how, say, the neck or secondary hull of a classical Star Trek ship is modeled? But really, I could learn from any examples in Sci Fi.

Please help! I'd appreciate any kind of feedback! Thanks for your time in any event,

Take care all,

Mark
Post edited by markglass on

• count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    neck? Easy... for one like a constitution class, it would be a rounded rectangle extruded vertically and then change the end planes of the neck to match the angle of the constitution's neck.

As for the hull, if you take a look on it from a side view and draw a curve that lines up with the profile of the saucer, then use the lathe tool (not sure what its called in non lightwave) to create a 360 degree version of that curve along the z axis, you'll end up with the basic shape.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • magyareaglemagyareagle0 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, I tend to start with an 8 sided tube, that I then cut and subdivide. I will pull the initial vertices into place, and then place it into a hypernurbs object, and keep on working from there. An example of the results you can get from this method is here:http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-gallery/53930-atolms-uss-intrepid-ncc-1831-3d-render.html
    It tends to result in fairly dense mesh, that is not neccesarily clean though. But it allows control at multiple subdivision levels.
    Of course, I am using cinema 4d, so I don't know if maya has a hypernurbs modifier.
    As an alternative I know that in maya you can loft along guide splines, so you could do that.
    Instead of moving each vertex painstakingly, I make extensive use of symmetry, low resolution subdivisions, and free form deformers. If you want, I could put together a mini tutorial in a couple of weeks, after finals are over.
  • markglassmarkglass0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic! Thank you guys for your help. Magyareagle, if it wouldn't much of your time, I'd love that, thank you. But don't stress yourself I can do more research going off of what you said there. I am using Maya but I'm sure techniques are similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I join this thread just to say +1markglass :)
    Alwsays searching news tutos to help to make bettre hulls, thanks magyareagle.