Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Modeling organic shapes? (Protoss Carrier)

SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
Hi all,

I'm looking to model the Protoss Carrier from the original Starcraft, and while I have plenty of non-ortho refs (the cinematics DVD), I don't have any ortho refs. In addition, while I know a fair amount about modeling (in Blender), I've never tried to model such an organic ship before, and am a bit lost on how to begin. Most of my modeling experience is point-to-point I believe is the term. I've used Bezier curves a few time on simple models.

So, looking for advice on how to derive references to model on from what I have, and looking for advice on how to model organic shapes like those found in the carrier.

-Stefan-
Post edited by Sastrei on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I would use the sub-surf modifier found in the modifier stack. Works wonders for organic/smooth shapes
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Definitely. Start with a cube, turn on level one sub-surface and start cutting, extruding and dragging. You'll be surprised how easy it is once you get the hang of regarding the poly-model as just a set of control points.

Once you get close, make a copy of the model before you fix it (if you decide to do so) so that you can go back to it if you mess up.

Don't fall into the trap of increasing the level too early - the levels work geometrically so once you get to level 3 you may have a huge number of polygons being drawn each time. Keep it low and simple while you get your shape sorted out and don't worry too much about 'stretch-marks'.
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    Alrighty, I've used subsurface before a bit, so I guess I'll give it a go with that. Subsurf does seem to generate a fair amount of polys though, and this will eventually be a game model, so are there any other methods of more directly creating the model to control poly count?

-Stefan-
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    If thats the case, I'd pick a primitive with a similar shape to what you want the final result to be. Take for example this Sherman Tank model I just finished (total of 1261 polies).

The turret piece was a sphere, the guns were cylinders, and the hull and tracks were boxes. Just move vertices and then extrude faces for extra details or wierd shapes. Just chop, slice, add edges and insert vertices along lines where necessary. Texture any details that don't need modelling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    it is true that sub surf jacks up the poly count, but you can go in and delete edge loops and faces that you dont need to maintin the shape.
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Righty - if its a game model then obviously you want to be looking at low polycounts.

Sub-Surface is still in the frame however, to that you can get the correct shape. Once that's done, use alt-C to convert it using a low level then start to rationalise the mesh by getting rid of redundant polygons and merging others - at least the Sub-surfaced version will get you on the right start for the shape.