Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Image Style

BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
This isn't exclusively a 3d question but since I am going to apply it to a 3d production I am asking here.

Is there a name for the style of imagery found on Beameup's avatar? I use that as an example because its local. It is similar to old sci fi magazines or novels.

I ask because I am trying to get that sort of style in my next picture.

Here is the avatar so you don't have to go searching.

Post edited by BDelacroix on

• backsteptbackstept2092 Posts: 930Member
    I guess you'd call it retro or classic scifi artwork
    not sure if there's a more specific term for it
    Bemeup would most likely have the answer, and maybe he'll poke his head in here :D
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I beleive thats pulp fiction.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Golden-Age sci-fi maybe
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    Backstept is pretty much closer to the more common name for that style. Unfortunately, back when that style was new, there really wasn't a name for it then, either. Some styles of art simply don't have a name or person attributed to it. Some of the stuff done by Frank Franzetta, like this:

ffddpm.jpg

Became the sort of "standard" for pulp sci-fi stylism. The above image was made for Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Princess of Mars", which is one of the "John Carter of Mars" series. That particular style is actually about as iconoclastic as it gets for that era. Franzetta did most of the artwork for a few of the other big-name sci-fi writers in the 60's and 70's.

Another artist of the era is Michael Whelan, who did virtually all of the artwork for Robert Heinlein's novels at Ace Books, and a lot of his work is fairly well known and associated with sci-fi materials. Here's a pretty good example of his style:

n21570.jpg
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    The image you posted was painted in 1955 by an artist named Ed Emshwiller. It is the cover to the April 1955 issue of Galaxy magazine, which you can find here:
    GALAXY LISTE 5

You can find lots of similar images in the main SF pulp site
    PULPS & MAGAZINES AMERICAINS
    The site in French, but you should be able to figure out the French words for "next" and "previous".

I use quite a few such images to illustrate my website.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to look all that up.

Yea, I have some Vallejo and Frazetta stuff. I like it actually.

Should be a nice challenge to try to make this effect in 3D. Actually, it seems it would be easier to do post processing on a 3D render to get the effect.