Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Lightwave v9.2? Create a lightsaber glow?

JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
Can anyone give a brief rundown on how to render a lightsaber glow in Lightwave. I'm using version 9.2, btw.

Not sure if it's a special type of shader, or if I can create this all in the new node editor?

Does it matter if I use the new perspective camera? do I need to use the classic camera?

Thanks for any assistance!
Jeff
Post edited by JeffrySG on

• mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    In the scene panel, go to image processing. Turn on glow, set the radius and so forth. Then make sure glow is active on the surface you want glowing (and as a percentage as well).

M
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Thanks Matt!
    I'll give that a try when I get back home! :)
    I'll let you know if I can't figure it out from that info... ;)

--Jeff
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    although LW really isn't the best way to go about doing it, LW glow is very limited, and it messes up the colours
    IRML, do you suggest that I just render the sabers as a white texture with a luminosity setting? and do the glow in post? I was just thinking that I'd try to do the glow all in LW - kind of for the principle of it? What do you think??
    So it seems like you really can't pick a separate glow color than the color of the object, can you? For a test I put a capsule with a glow setting on it and then I used a gradient from red to white using incidence as the input and I got this...

Please keep in mind, that I posses superior noob abilities with LW! ;)
    Attachment not found.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    You can, but you need to use the corona shader Image Filters.
    mattc wrote: »
    You can, but you need to use the corona shader Image Filters.

OK, I'll have to look that up and do a little research on that. I haven't really used any shaders yet in LW but this will at least give me an idea where to look...

and come to think of it, I don't think that last test I did, looked too bad but it can be improved a bit...

Thanks Matt

J
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    IRML, do you suggest that I just render the sabers as a white texture with a luminosity setting? and do the glow in post? I was just thinking that I'd try to do the glow all in LW - kind of for the principle of it? What do you think??
    you can do it with glows, I'd suggest a large glow radius and less intensity, but it won't produce accurate results with the hotspot colour (blue notices the most), if you want a realistic one then make the sabre all white with 100% luminosity and render it out on its own, then you can screen that onto the image and add the right blurs and colour corrections to make a more realistic glow
  • gonk droidgonk droid0 Posts: 0Member
    compositing with after effects gives decent results if you have it.

just a short clip. one of my first attempts at rotoscoping.

aftereffects_lightsabertest