Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Creating Deflector Grid Lines On Saucer

ghoyle1ghoyle10 Posts: 0Member
What are some methods for creating deflector grid lines on a Star Trek TOS-style saucer? I know how to create gridlines using testures, but is there a preferred method for building them into the mesh itself? I'm using Cinema4D, but I wouldn't mind hearing from those who use other programs as well.

Guy
Post edited by ghoyle1 on

• NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    In MAX we usually model them by using a negative extrude function (using the Extrude command in Sub-Object>Lines/Edges with a negative number, usually something low like "-0.2") on selected lines/edges within an object. And for those of us who're interested in making things that much more realistic, we'll take it a step further by adding a chamfer function after the lines have been negatively extruded. For me, this typically has the best results.

Another technique which is somewhat similar is to apply a positive Bevel function in Sub-Object>Faces/Polygons mode to specific faces. This has the dual function of extruding those faces AND making them slightly smaller, which gives the appearance of gridlines having been cut into the surface. There's a drawback to this technique, though- it can sometimes increase an object's perceived "mass" in undesireable ways.

There aren't too many techniques for this particular effect in MAX, really.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    The lightwave version is to stencil the deflector shape onto the hull and bevel/extrude.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class