Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

1414243444547»

• BrandenbergBrandenberg2065 CaliforniaPosts: 2,206Member
    edited July 20 #1382
    It had been bugging me for a long time so I fixed the rear facing Polygon Antennas on the back of the wing so they weren't just intersecting the structure with no sense of how they were attached. Everything got more grime and tarnish.

59rmw9vtj34o.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    wibbleStarCruiserLizzy777Starshippubliusr
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804750 Posts: 11,272Member
    Yeah, make it nice and grungy, like a Klingons ship should be. :)
    Brandenberg
    Yeah like they leave their ships out in the rain.
    evil_genius_180
    Cleaning the s*** off your ship after a battle or space storm, whatever, is just a luxury that true warriors don't afford themselves. :lol:
    Brandenbergpubliusr
    Some business minded Klingon could make a fly through ship wash and make it easy to scrub them up once and a while. But on the other hand we all probably wouldn't enjoy them that much. Bring on the grunge. ;)
    evil_genius_180wibble
    Naw, we all know what braggarts Klingons are. Every speck of dirt and minor damage on that hull has an epic story behind it, more so with the retelling. So, I don't think the ship wash would do much business, at least not with Klingon customers.
    Brandenbergwibble
    Naw, we all know what braggarts Klingons are. Every speck of dirt and minor damage on that hull has an epic story behind it, more so with the retelling. So, I don't think the ship wash would do much business, at least not with Klingon customers.
    When you're right, you're right.
  • wibblewibble1300 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 583Member
    edited July 20 #1389
    Some business minded Klingon could make a fly through ship wash and make it easy to scrub them up once and a while.

I bet there have been a few Ferengi who tried this and they probably didn't live long enough to realise why this was a stupid idea.
    Post edited by wibble on
    publiusr
    Ok that made me laugh. Until deep space nine and Quark and Nog, I really thought the Ferengi were a bad idea.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann741 Posts: 1,368Member
    Isn't that basically the big beam station from the Die Hard In Space episode of TNG?
    Brandenberg
    Ok that made me laugh. Until deep space nine and Quark and Nog, I really thought the Ferengi were a bad idea.

Armin Shimerman, who played Quark, played one of the first Ferengi seen in the episode "The Last Outpost," as well as the Ferengi captain in "Peak Performance." He was never happy with the portrayal of Ferengi on screen in TNG and said in an interview that he took the role of Quark to redeem the species. And it's true, the Ferengi, who were supposed to be the big baddies of TNG, basically came off as a joke in TNG. It was through Quark, Nog and Rom (and a few others) that they became a beloved species.
    Brandenberg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish10159 Posts: 5,375Member
    Cant be so hard to toss some paint cans out the airlock and fly full impulse through em.
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Cant be so hard to toss some paint cans out the airlock and fly full impulse through em.
    Excellent!
    Armin Shimerman, who played Quark, played one of the first Ferengi seen in the episode "The Last Outpost," as well as the Ferengi captain in "Peak Performance." He was never happy with the portrayal of Ferengi on screen in TNG and said in an interview that he took the role of Quark to redeem the species. And it's true, the Ferengi, who were supposed to be the big baddies of TNG, basically came off as a joke in TNG. It was through Quark, Nog and Rom (and a few others) that they became a beloved species.
    I always wondered about the TNG comment, something to the effect of the Ferengi eating their enemies. Like you said, they came off like a joke.
    I always wondered about the TNG comment, something to the effect of the Ferengi eating their enemies. Like you said, they came off like a joke.

I think the "eating" comment was intended to make them sound fearsome. The problem is they were just so comical. They were literally supposed to be the new Klingons. Gene Roddenberry didn't want to show any of the same old enemies, but the lackluster portrayal of the Ferengi led to the return of the Romulans in the last episode of the first season.
    I also think he was looking for a way of poking at greedy capitalists. He may have wanted to make them look ridiculous. Profit versus science. Logic and thoughtful consideration versus greed.
    publiusr
    I've always wanted to do a merchantman freighter but the underside piping is a really daunting. I'm going to try to take it further now.

fdmu591dmcg0.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserMadKoiFishpubliusrwibbleLoopholeLizzy777
    Looks good so far.
    Brandenberg
    I also think he was looking for a way of poking at greedy capitalists. He may have wanted to make them look ridiculous. Profit versus science. Logic and thoughtful consideration versus greed.

Oh, for sure it was a social commentary. People working for greedy Hollywood capitalists like poking fun at other greedy capitalists. The Ferengi were supposed to represent the worst of greedy people. But, they were still supposed to be major villains. The line about them eating their past associates was from "Encounter at Farpoint," where the Ferengi still hadn't been seen. I suspect that line was half social commentary and half just trying to make the heretofore unseen Ferengi seem like major bad guys. The problem was, no hyping them up could prevent them from looking like doofuses when they appeared a few episodes later. Their ship was cool, though. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of the Ferengi Marauder.
    Brandenberg
    Pakleds: "We look for things that make us go."
    Ferengi: "We look for things that make us profit."

BTW: I'm not against profit. I just dislike that the uber wealthy get away with whatever they want.
    edited July 22 #1402
    I'm not against profit either. In fact, it wouldn't make sense for me to be, since I work for the largest retailer in the world. :lol:

I did some reading on Memory Alpha, and the Ferengi were created by Herbert J. Wright. As I said, the Ferengi were supposed to take the place of the Klingons in TNG, since they could no longer be used as antagonists. Wright thought back to the conflict between the Klingons and Federation in TOS being a representation of the Cold War, and he wanted something that was socially relevant for the 1980s, so he chose greed in the US financial sector. Essentially, the Ferengi were supposed to represent financial agents and lawyers of the time. So, he made them profit obsessed ruthless aliens. So, as you said, they were supposed to be socially relevant for the time and they were meant to show the greed being shown by a lot of people in the 1980s. In fact, as things have gotten even worse in the 37 years since TNG first aired, the Ferengi are still relevant today.

And, of course, the Ferengi were also a stark contrast to the Federation, which was supposed to be made up of races that had evolved past the greedy obsessions of the Ferengi. Oh, how far we have to go....
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Brandenberg
    edited July 23 #1403
    Oh yeah they were starting to work with the Klingons as part of the Worf story line. They needed someone new.

I've also been working on a Copernicus station.

nigefxn6n4w5.png

wibbleevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiser
  • wibblewibble1300 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 583Member
    Impressive but what's a Copernicus station?
    edited July 23 #1405
    As I understand it, it was built and sent to the TNG staff and crew. I believe it was never used. Doug Drexler highlighted it in his blog. Suddenly I've been seeing a lot of drawings of them on Deviant Art.

fhuuwfwia547.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserwibble
    I guess I'm plowing forward with the station since it has been a long time since I've done one.

638yjl2ygvhm.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruisertrekkiwibbleMadKoiFishLizzy777
    This station was done a long time ago but never finished. I have some things I need to replace because I did them so crudely the first time.

ab3f5lt1owq3.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserMadKoiFishLizzy777