Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationNASCAR + Voyager

Tiberius JimTiberius Jim35 Posts: 8Member
edited July 9 in Finished Work #1
Here's the latest installment of my NASCAR + Star Trek series. After much being said about the unlikelihood of a Galaxy-class starship safely performing a flyover, I opted to go with a vessel we know for sure is capable of atmospheric flight. And has a helmsman who would feel right at home at a NASCAR event. Enjoy!

ykqcmjqh0ux1.png
Post edited by Tiberius Jim on
evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruisertrekki
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804750 Posts: 11,270Member
    That's really impressive. I love the composite work with the crowd, that's well done. I was expecting the Nascar cars to be real, but I noticed they're also CGI, which is nice. The musical choice was also nice, with the national anthem blending into the Voyager theme. Those are just some standouts for me, but the whole video was well done.

Small nitpick: The registries on Voyager's nacelles should be black text outlined in red, not red text and outlines. I don't know if that model was created in Blender or if it was a conversion, but sometimes wonky things can happen with materials when you convert models.
  • Tiberius JimTiberius Jim35 Posts: 8Member
    Thanks! I did notice the nacelle registries but only later on once I'd done a lot of rendering and going back to fix that would have meant having to re-render a lot. Since it is just a small detail I can live with it.

I was super thrilled to find the rock version of the Voyager theme, I think it works way better than the standard orchestral version used in the show.

The crowd is actually done in-render, I used a procedural crowd generator add-on. Looking back, some other method may have sped up the rendering speed, as those crowds really added to the time. But I'm happy with the result so maybe it was worth it. I added a few other details that may not be noticed on first watch (or first listen) so I hope there are some fun surprises in there.
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804750 Posts: 11,270Member
    Thanks! I did notice the nacelle registries but only later on once I'd done a lot of rendering and going back to fix that would have meant having to re-render a lot. Since it is just a small detail I can live with it.

Yeah, as I said, it was a small nitpick. It's definitely not worth going back and redoing hours of animation rendering to fix it.
    The crowd is actually done in-render, I used a procedural crowd generator add-on. Looking back, some other method may have sped up the rendering speed, as those crowds really added to the time. But I'm happy with the result so maybe it was worth it. I added a few other details that may not be noticed on first watch (or first listen) so I hope there are some fun surprises in there.

That's cool. I figured you'd done some compositing voodoo, but it's actually more impressive that they're rendered. Like you said, it adds to the render time, but they do look good.