Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek TOS - TMP era models and WIP projects..

2»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804547 Posts: 11,169Member
    Nice! I love K7, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one. Also, I like how those schematics have pictures of the filming model on them.
    CptBenSisko
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1913 CaliforniaPosts: 2,066Member
    wibble wrote: »
    Uh, pretty excited to watch this come together.

Agree. I did a K7 once but it was very early in my 3D work so I am pretty darn certain that it needs love.
    CptBenSisko
  • CptBenSiskoCptBenSisko142 Posts: 43Member
    wibble wrote: »
    Uh, pretty excited to watch this come together.

Ask.. and thou shalt receive.

Nice! I love K7, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one. Also, I like how those schematics have pictures of the filming model on them.

Yeah.. despite it being an actual miniature (that was lost) most of the model kits made today are based on the CG version built for TOS Remastered or the one in DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations.. the schematics that James did are based on photos of the physical model and references from BTS photos.

When I started roughing out some early block shapes.. i found that elliptical sections didn't match up.. turns out these sections are ellipsoids.. they fold into/out of each other.. apparently this was based on very early REAL world ideas that NASA and space engineers had for space stations and how they could be deployed quickly in space or on a planet. As you move from section to section, each one is slightly smaller, so that it fits into the one before it.. kind of like matryoshka dolls, also known as stacking dolls, each one fits into the next.. actually a pretty ingenious design tbh.

Anywho.. some progress..

Orthos -

vnc6p47k07xg.png
    g6sb2yein8el.png
    xc1m7ldt4foj.png
    uwhmkd056txa.png
    a5dcro0p5qxq.png
    wzjwxili9s3j.png

Perspectives -

wtwded5o6dj6.png
    nyztj9sz2dfx.png
    onqvbp0cns3z.png
    mngruizrtbee.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777wibble
    another quick update -

Got the storage pod added.. and cut the Hangar Bay in.. the hangar bay goes in and essentially borders the main support that comes down from the central core section.. i cant wait to start texturing that.. im debating how much detail i am going to put into the shuttlebay, though. def going to put a low poly shuttle or two in there though..

3btmomdx0gje.png
    hd7gprpvuhjn.png
    w5j5cjkngud0.png

Hangar Bay -

fk95ezitfm81.png
    4jcedebam7jp.png
    97cl8zzqjxjj.png

Storage Pod -

9nnyyxfyua8x.png
    r8dwrts3src4.png
    ach3nbjtqy3q.png
    trekkiStarCruiserBrandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777wibble
    Nice. Very accurate looking.
    CptBenSisko
    Thank you.. came together quite quickly as well.. like once I figured out the ellipsoid shapes.. it all fell into place.. I wish they came together that easily LOL
    Some basic mapping/texturing of the central area has begun.. the smaller pods will have nearly identical textures as the main pod.. each one mapped to the same section. just makes sense since they are identical..

xs1pju6nnmvc.png
    uiix14nh104l.png

Also shading some of the panels to give them a little bit of depth so they don't just blend in together.. some artistic liberties..
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777wibble
    work progressing on K-7

6srsee3ubpmx.png
    potbz7ymb1nv.png
    9ryl2tvnxm01.png
    f0dl399vj46a.png

the classic TOS angle -

uygonq66zajm.png
    65gbz8ix4deg.png
    emxgs6ala6rm.png
    yxu8tcl14wc3.png

obviously shes dark because there are no windows added yet.. but one step at a time..
    StarCruisertrekkiBrandenbergevil_genius_180wibbleLizzy777
    All four cones are now mapped, textured and lit

ms9qd4opt8c5.png
    y165c9w9m4rv.png
    wibbleevil_genius_180StarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777
    realized i missed adding half the lines on the central cone.. so had to get those added.. and got a bulk of the central core/spire textured with all the little panel details as well.

bqu3yad0vj0a.png
    bxgkm526y9o6.png
    s83bntnlbfmo.png
    vbxpf2mflb09.png
    wibbleevil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777
    That's looking great. The windows help make it feel alive.
    Nice work. Ya gotta love those designs from the 1960's
    small update today - added the strobes on the three sides and the phaser banks

p2lg2znz1bka.png
    tw3vxdcbccc7.png
    yfmi3mkjc5hg.png
    fq6okawjiic0.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiser
    Looking great. Hm, I never realized K7 had phasers. It does make sense, though.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser377 Posts: 58Member
    Those were not on the miniature.

There were none on the Enterprise (or the Klingon D7 or Romulan Warbird etc....).
    CptBenSisko

There were none on the Enterprise (or the Klingon D7 or Romulan Warbird etc....).

True. The little "nipple" phasers originated with the Technical Manual by Franz Joseph in the 70s. That's probably why I didn't think of K7 having phasers. But, a space station needs some kind of defense weaponry.

As for the Enterprise, the little phallic doodad coming out of the sensor dome is either a phaser or a telescope. You decide.

37569dq3gsiv.jpg

CptBenSiskoStarCruiserLizzy777publiusr
    correct.. none of the models used in the original series had any visible weapon emplacements.. the schematics I'm building K-7 from have them added in strategic spots.. so she has 360 degree phaser and torpedo coverage.. still not overly powerful though.
    StarCruiser
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    edited June 22 #49
    As for the Enterprise, the little phallic doodad coming out of the sensor dome is either a phaser or a telescope. You decide.
    37569dq3gsiv.jpg

That should only be allowed on the first pilot version.

My head canon says this cannon was what we saw on The cage after hovering down.

Later, the whole lower sensor dome was one big crystal and multiple phaser banks were wrapped around the saucers core to point down---the beams coming out of the dome itself---before blister phasers were introduced with Achernar (FJ plans).
    Post edited by publiusr on