Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D modeling apps that have exceptional perspective or camera matching?

I've got some ref that is shots of small models (less than 3' length) on stands etc as well as screen-caps, to try to match some work to solve a couple of things perhaps. I use an older ver of modo, so no tools there, but also have a 3DSMax license. Trying to sort matching the camera orientation has been tricky. i have a number of parts that i know the sizes of, so dropping temp geo at correct scale can be part of it. So far, getting a good exportable solution has been rough. Any pointers and/or alternatives? Just trying to match a photo with known geo to solve a final few proportions. ;-) thanks...

• count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    fspy is free and exports the photomatched scene to whatever program of choice you like. There's also an implemtnation of it called perspective plotter for blender which integrates it directly.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 267Member
    I may try fspy again with some different screencaps.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    fspy is limited in that if there's no metadata in the photo, you have to guess the focal length to get an accurate result, and that doesn't account for any lense distortion or chromatic abrasion.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    count23 wrote: »
    fspy is limited in that if there's no metadata in the photo, you have to guess the focal length to get an accurate result, and that doesn't account for any lense distortion or chromatic abrasion.

The difficulty is the lens distortion so far, the lens choices used to shoot these at 'interesting' angles etc gives apps a fit. And even if I get a decent bit of camera info, then it is using it inside of Max or such as well.

Also fun- the mesh that I'm working on has, for all intents/purposes, no true verticals to gauge off of. Oof! ;-) I'm trying to use the photos to determine some part placement, but also to see if a couple of sections are actually vertical where areas around them angle outwards, but their edges are hidden... fun times ;-)

Thanks!
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Modo has pretty good camera matching tools, but I'm not sure which version they were added in. They have been there for a while.

Other than that I was just going to suggest fspy or perspective plotter.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Modo has pretty good camera matching tools, but I'm not sure which version they were added in. They have been there for a while.

Other than that I was just going to suggest fspy or perspective plotter.

They were added around ver 10. Not a chance of me giving the foundry any money.