Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Looking for advice on how to get FBX files to display correctly

Hello Everyone,

I have a large collection of Star Trek models which were supplied to me in FBX format, but when I open them up in a program such as Blender, they appear as below.

4uaq0xzg0e23.jpeg

qukwdmdnkfns.jpeg

I have opened them up in Autodesk FBX Review and get the same result.

Does anyone have any advice which isn't too technical on how to get them to display correctly ?

The only problem is that I am a complete novice at 3d modelling and have been trying to learn but haven't got very far with it yet.

Thanks,
Rick

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    ... or in Blender without textures.
  • Rickpadwick1801Rickpadwick180161 Posts: 9Member
    trekki wrote: »
    ... or in Blender without textures.

I did try Blender as well, but it didn't like them either =)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Does every model import this way or just certain ones? It reminds me of downloading meshes in .3ds format 20 years ago, where some would import into Truespace fine, and others would be wonky, like those.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Without looking at Blender or FBX review, it looks like all the objects are positioned at the origin (so, X, Y and Z 0) instead of where they are located in the scene file, so I'd look for and option to use positions (sometimes called transforms) from the file instead of setting them to 0 on import.

Moving stuff back where it's supposed to be shouldn't be very difficult either, but it can be a little tedious if there are many objects.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • Rickpadwick1801Rickpadwick180161 Posts: 9Member
    Does every model import this way or just certain ones? It reminds me of downloading meshes in .3ds format 20 years ago, where some would import into Truespace fine, and others would be wonky, like those.

Thanks, I haven't actually tried to import all of them :-)

I need to pull the files out from my backup drive and try them again.
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Those look like they may have come out of Lightwave's old crappy two-part environment (Modeler and Layout) where you would have to take the mesh into a set-up and translate everything back to its correct position, so that you can have any needed rotation points etc at 0, 0, 0. But as most Trek ships don't need that, it'd have been a stupid approach. Hope you get it sorted... shouldn't be tough to move to where they need to be.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    The NX model can be downloaded here after registration.
    www.deviantart.com/metlesitsfleetyards