Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Models

13»

• backsteptbackstept784 Posts: 732Member
    Awesome work on this! I tried to build one last year maybe, but stopped because I didn't have any good reference.

For the link, check the WIP channel in the SFM discord. I yoinked 'em for myself earlier today.
    evil_genius_180
  • count23count23344 Posts: 759Member
    count23 wrote: »
    if it helps, all my highest resolution reference images of the constellation class are on my onedrive if you want them, there's about 30 of 'em: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AKh0Y2VIeOqG6WA&id=F40E192C0A6225CA!486&cid=F40E192C0A6225CA

I really appreciate that, but the link didn't work. It tells me the item might not exist or is no longer available.

that's odd, try this one then: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsolYgosGQ70g2Z3AMGMN8bf4i2A?e=mwEzgp
    evil_genius_180
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1802437 Posts: 10,224Member
    I got them that time, thanks a lot. :+1: You have some that I didn't have, showing more angles of the model and the various greebles. :)
    count23
    edited January 25 #65
    As anyone who has built an Enterprise refit or Reliant can tell you, this piece is considerably different on the Constellation class:

a010ai7e0s58.jpg

It presented a considerable modeling challenge, but in some ways was actually easier to build than the same piece on the other two models. Anyway, hopefully I did it justice:

p6qnssdmzqbz.png

nxswzm5mv00c.png

It started off life as a cube with a lot of adding cuts and fudging with the verts to get it where I needed it to be before hitting it with a considerable amount of Sub D. It may not be 100%, in fact I guarantee it's not, but it will do. After all, when you're shaping something based solely on a screencap and using blueprints for something else as a reference, there's a definite margin for error. ;)

Incidentally, if nobody else has listened to it, Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack for the movie Alien is quite excellent. I've been listening to that and the TMP Director's Edition soundtrack while working.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    backsteptashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserRory1707trekkiwibble
  • PheylanPheylan364 Posts: 13Member
    edited January 25 #66
    Nice job on the nacelle. I didn't even notice the difference with that front part until you mentioned it, but I guess it helps to add it's own uniqueness to the ship.

When I built my Belknap model I dreaded getting to the nacelles, lol. I don't even remember what I did much less be able to explain it in detail. The whole project was one big learning exercise. :)
    Post edited by Pheylan on
    evil_genius_180
    Pheylan wrote: »
    Nice job on the nacelle. I didn't even notice the difference with that front part until you mentioned it, but I guess it helps to add it's own uniqueness to the ship.

When I built my Belknap model I dreaded getting to the nacelles, lol. I don't even remember what I did much less be able to explain it in detail. The whole project was one big learning exercise. :)

Thanks a lot!

Personally, I love building this style of nacelle. I've built them several times in the past, including making 3 models previously of the Constellation (with better and better references) in Truespace. I also built a model of the Constitution refit years ago in Lightwave, which I also kitbashed into the Constellation class. For me, making the nacelle just starts with the front part. I start with a cube and start doing knife cuts and getting the polygons into the rough shape, then it's subdivision time. I try the Sub D before I lock it in and move verts as needed to get that shape exactly where I want it. I have a similar process for the back of the nacelle, but I start with a cylinder and go from there. B)
    wibble