Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Key to Good Looking Rocks?

efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
After meandering through the 3D WIP threads, I came across Don't Shoot's Freqtok Nor - Cardassian Obsidian Order Station thread and thought "Hey, now there is a cool idea." I know hidden bases inside astroids have been around since someone first thought of writing about humans in space but for some reason, his thread just sparked something.

Anyway, what is the key to making good rocks? It is all modeling or it is more texturing? Would I create a fairly basic exterior model (ie: Large Craters, Crevases) and then just texture everything else in? (ie: Rough, uneven surface, smaller craters, etc),
I have a hard time modelling organic shapes, but my own universe that I've been slowly creating does have a secret base, inside a hollowed out moon. I appreciate any tips, suggestions or help that anyone can provide.

I love this place.
Post edited by efritsch on

• CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    you could model all of it i guess, then use displacement to add a final level of detail. One way i've made asteroids in the past was to make a cube, subdivide it and add a couple of noise modifiers, one to handle large deformations, one to provide a little more detail. after that use the displacement (displace modifier) with an elevation map - you could use a photo of rock perhaps, then paint in the craters.