Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

frequent render Crashes

MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
Damn damn damn! This is giving me grey hair!!!

For the last few days, whenever I render my ship max suddenly decides to 'disappear' after rendering a few frames. Sometimes it renders a few hundred frames, sometimes just two or one... No error messages, no warnings, just "poof!" gone... I can restart max without any issues, my file opens without errors and then it happens again when rendering. It smells like something memory related but I've got an intel Core-2-Duo 2.4 with 2GB and 4096MB set fixed as virtual memory...
Some other interesting numbers: my max file is a whopping 95MB already :O
and while rendering max uses 1.4GB of my physical memory and none of the virtual memory and my system itself uses 2.17GB in paging file size and 100% on both CPU's...

Any thoughts or suggestions guys? I'm also using vray 1.5 for rendering
Post edited by Meph on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Polycount and render resolution?

Sounds like it's running out of memory, but it might be something else as well.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, the total file contains 975.804 faces and I'm rendering at 720x381 (jpg frames for an animation)

It's strange, all symptoms look like it might be memory related but all the numbers, and monitoring the performance while rendering, seem to suggest that although it's a pretty heavy load it should be able to handle it.

I'll start looking at some other probable causes but in the meantime, any and all suggestions are welcome
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    if anything is overclocked it could cause a problem, especially memory. I overclocked my memory slightly and it caused saving errors in some of my games.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I've got nothing running overclocked so I'm afraid that that can't be the case.

other things I've already tried
    -Increasing the virtual mem to it's max
    -disabling all the indexing services on all my hard disks
    -defragment the partition that holds the virtual memory
    -reinstall vray
    -rebooting my comp and starting3d max and the render with all unnecessary processes ended

For the rest I've done no software installs or uninstalls before the problem first appeared, virus and spyware scans found nothing serious :(

I'm about to start burning incense while praying to Jesus and turning around Tibetan praying wheels while faced to the east on a little carpet...