Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Sun Glare on Metal Surface?

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Whats up guys trying to create a soft "sun glare" highlight on the metal surface of my ship. I spoke with Coolhand who suggested using Photoshop to fake this in a still image format; but I was wondering if anyone had ideas of how to accomplish this on the fly in Max; as I hope to use it in an animated sequence.

I know in Cinema4d it's a render effect thats based on your specularity channel, it just adds a 3 dimensional glow around that highlight.

I attached some examples by Coolhand to show you what I mean. Notice that glow that expands from around the specular highlight. As I recall it was seen many times on the large ships in the opening sequence of Episode III. As stated above, I know that Coolhand used Photoshop to create the effect in the attached images, but I know I've seen it in animations as well.

Infact, here's an old clip of mine that showcases the effect in Cinema 4D:
http://www.ryangallion.com/WakefieldTakeoff.avi

Thanks,
gallion311
Post edited by Unknown User on

• Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Don't create it in max, create in post using after effects or your chosen video editing package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    That would be simple enough on a still shot, or a shot with little movement, but what about a more chaotic shot where the ship is rolling/darting around the screen? The specular constantly moves around the surface of the ship and creating a seperate layer and masking out the glow seems like alot of work if its possible to do in Max.

Unless what you're telling me is that you've tried it and it just isn't possible to get a nice looking glow?

EDIT: Even the video I posted above, look how eratically those highlights are jumping around, and thats a simple movement...I coudn't imagine doing that by hand.

gallion311
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    You can apply a standard max glow on things based on their brightness (don't remember what the option is called, but it's in the same place where you select material or object IDs) or make a falloff (shadow/light) blend material and assign a materialID on the lit parts (you'll need to tweak the blend curve somewhat) and a glow on the materialID.

If you want actual lensflares (think anime or that sleek looking ship from the beginning of Ep. II) that appear on the surface when the sun hits it, you can try a number of hilight and glow filters. Tricky, but I remember someone making a very nice effect that way.

That being said, if you have access to any kind of post-processing software, it might be more convenient to do it in post. Easier to tweak and less hassle setting things up.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Hmm...thats a good idea to use the max glow based on brightness; I'll have to play around with that. I agree, that like most effects in Max it takes some serious tweaking to achieve a given result, but that would still be quicker than doing it by hand.

Not sure if you saw my edit, but double check that video at the top, look how those highlights are jumping around. I can't imagine doing that by hand...
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Saw the video. Pretty nifty. :)

As far as the effect goes, that's approximately what it'll look like. At least after a few rounds of tweaking. :p

As far as doing it by hand goes, I doubt any PP software would make you actually hand draw all the glows. It usually works the same way as my method (bright part --> glow), only the glow is 2d (faster) and you don't need to rerender the animation frame underneath, if the glow gets botched up. :)

Depending on your max version you might actually have a Maxscript that does specular blooms already bundled in. Might be worthwhile taking a look around your scripts directory just in case.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    There was a tut for this but it seems to have dissapeared.
    go to rendering/effects
    Add lens effects/glow/options tab
    set material ID (material you want specular bloom on) check the bright box and set it above 50 (higher the # the smaller the bloom sensitivity is)
    I dont like this method much but it is a way to do it in max. NOW you can add falloff and colour as well and will have to mess with settings (I recomend scrolling down and setting the global sizes small so your not working in .05 increments for the glow itself. I prefer the post effect used in a tut on sfm

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/12559-nicer-specular-bloom-ps.html

In animation youd need to output as image then run a batch command in ps then reassamble the images into a avi in say vdud (bit of a pain :p) The "jumping around" is only affected by the reflected light from the specular highlights. So it would automaticly glow where needed.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    There is also a script that was called specular bloom or something like that, i use it some times and its nifty!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    There is also a script that was called specular bloom or something like that, i use it some times and its nifty!

[cheek] /me jabs mental|plate in the monocular, how bout a name or url there :p [/cheek]
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    First on specular bloom read this:
    forums.splutterfish.com :: View topic - glowing object in brazil, need help, quiiick!!
    (read the last post, dont mind the brazil stuff)

then this:
    CG Education
    (about static and motion spec bloom)

and finally look at the attachment. works from the version 6 up...perhaps even in older ones, that is not tested!
    The way i do it works for both animations and still and is applied universally across the scene so it doesnt look out of place.
    Instead of using a glow use a blur. Go to environment (or effects i cant remember which one) and add a blur. Then uncheck it from whole image to brightness. lower the blend amount and up the min/max brightness to whatever you want. Increase the brighten value a little and play with the feather radious (10-15 works good). u should end up with a slight bloom effect around areas of high specular reflection or anything very bright in the scene. works in conjunction with other effects such as dof and motion blur aswell.

Renders "on the fly" to each frame and is very quick.
    The rendering effect that mental plate is talking about is good it works well, and it comes with max 6 you kinda just have to put it in the right folder. But since he attached it that shouldnt be too much problem
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Not that I have anything useful to add, but does anyone else notice that Cooland's work is almost used as a standard around here?
    efritsch wrote: »
    Not that I have anything useful to add, but does anyone else notice that Cooland's work is almost used as a standard around here?

Well, it is very good :)
    But why don't you use my work as a standard, oh wait, I haven't done much work :p