Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Post - Production

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
IRML wrote:
I think you have to understand the reasons why we use a post processing application before you start trying to work with it, this is the way I use AE, I do everything in lightwave but I render it all out separately, so I have say 20 image sequences which make up the scene, like weapon effects, lighting, background passes.... I bring those into AE and I can tweak them separately and layer them together just the way I want to

I can use AE to apply certain effects to these layers like brightness changes and glows, I can do post process motion blur which looks more realistic than what you get out of LW, I can simulate realistic high dynamic range in AE.... the possibilities are endless, but rarely would I ever create an effect from scratch in AE - I just use it to complement the LW work

So to apply this to max, would i render let's say ship 1 and everything else hidden then ship 2 and everything else hidden then phaser and everything else hidden then add it together in After Effects? is that what he said?
Post edited by Unknown User on

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    tiberiusjojo
    So to apply this to max, would i render let's say ship 1 and everything else hidden then ship 2 and everything else hidden then phaser and everything else hidden then add it together in After Effects? is that what he said?
    I get what he is saying. And no you don't have to do all the separately. I use LW as well. But what he is saying(from what i understand) is that you need to render your scene with all the ships and effects that you want in Max except Blurs then render it out as an image sequence then use AE to enhance the effects that are there and add your own blurs from AE.

At least that is my interpritation of what he said. If i am wrong let me know. :p
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    He's talking about render passes, and compositional elements.
    For example: I have a space battle scene with 20 ships, They are separated in 3 different groups, placed in 3 different "levels" of the image (far from the camera, near the camera, and in the middle), ok?
    Then we have a starfield a nebula and a planet in the background, some spare rocks floating in the space, and the weapons effects (phasers, torpedoes, and explosions)
    Now you could render this image as it is, with a quite long render time and you are set, but you can also render just the BG with the starfield and the planet, and then every "group" of the fighting ships (BG,MG or FG) with an alpha channel (so you could use it to composite them into the final image).
    Or...
    You could render every "pass" separately. for pass I mean: diffuse color, specular, occlusion, ambient light, alpha channel, etc... For this I think you should ave to find a tut online, because I'm not an expert, and my English is so awful, that an explanation will make not sense at all!:D