Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Buying A Computer Need Help

2»

• efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Pyrocitor wrote: »
    AMD's got one too
    here Multi-Core Worldwide

oh my goodness..... *drool*
  • Silverblade-T-ESilverblade-T-E0 Posts: 0Member
    step 1: get an ASUS motherboard!! Then get a CPU suitable for it, no use having a screaming CPU and a shoddy motherboard.

step 2: remember you cannnot really use more than 2 gigs of RAM on windows XP, only xp64 can use more than 2 gigs. So buy RAM on those terms. More RAM = good, *if* it can be used by your system.

Step 3: Buy a good case, like an ANTEC, or Coolermaster, honestly, it pays in the long term to have a case it's easy to fit boards etc into and that stays cool.
    most cases suck!

Step 4: does your software actually make use of graphic card power? many don't, so a humble 6600GT or 7600 GT nvidia card will do fine, though if they've got 256 or more RAM that's good for displaying lots of OpenGL things (Like Vue with ecosystems).

Step 5: yeah avoid Vista like the piece of garbage it is, get WinXp64 (if your software has 64 bit versions and hardwarte has drivers for it), or WInXPPro otherwise.

with the money you save vs a macPro, buy an external HD for back up and other goodies ;)
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Can you even buy Xp anymore? I was under the impression that MicroShaft has stopped selling it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    i'm not sure, I think you can still get it but they really want people to buy vista
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Vista is pointless till there is openGL dirvers that will work worth a damn. And yes that quad core amd was the S$*#^$#T :p
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    I'm in the same boat right now and am looking a getting a system with the following configuration for my ACAD modeling and general usage (including games), any thoughts:
    NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply
    [Socket-AM2] AMD Athlon™64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink
    MSI K9N4 SLI-F NVIDIA nForce 500-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB
    2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB VRAM
    2x 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]
    16x DVD-ROM Drive Black
    18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black
    3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
    Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black More Options
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    ^ Run away from Vista if it's for CAD work mate. Ask the vendor about the possibility of a Windows XP install instead. XP Home and Pro are still widely available- I have them on the shelf right behind me at work- Microsoft haven't knocked the price down as they want people to go the Vista route, but one rumour I've heard is that SolidWorks and CATIA report a 90% slowdown under Vista. I don't know if AutoCAD has as much trouble with it, but it doesn't bode well.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • Silverblade-T-ESilverblade-T-E0 Posts: 0Member
    Rule of thumb: NEVER buy any Microsoft produce until Service Pack1 is out!!
    ;)
    and places still sell XP. if you can get drivers for XP 64 bit for your machine's parts, that should rock.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    AMD 64bit all the way! (Duo is optional) ATI PCI-E All the way! Might as well get DDR2 RAM.... at least 2 GBs maybe more depending on your OS... ummmm wait your buying a PC? If you go out and buy one you probably will be forced to have Vista.... I would suggest building a PC its not hard. I know in some citys there are small PC places normally owned by Koreans (lol at least the one around here is) that sell parts real cheap and if you don't trust your self putting it together yourself its alot of times still cheap to have them build it then it is to buy a pre built one.

Anyway you should get your PC depending on what you want it to do. I suggest getting a AMD 64bit with XPx64 at least 2 GBs of RAM DDR or DDR2 If your going to get a good graphics card get a PCI-E Card (ATI or Nvidia I perfer ATI) much better than AGP Cards. O and SATA Drives no reason to be having your HD slowing you down. Anyway yeah.. I know what I like and what works well for me because I have tried them... so honestly you might not find the computer just for you for a while... Even now this PC I am still upgrading to what I have learned I love and taking out what I know I hate...

Good Luck hope you get what ya need,
    Brox out~
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    on the subject of graphics cards, I've found in the past that ATI cards perform better with gaming related tasks, while nVidia cards seem to have better integration with 3D applications on the whole. Of course, that information could be out of date since the tie-up between AMD and ATI. :)

Often, a local computer shop can put a Made To Order PC together for you, and you'll still comfortably undercut the High Street. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."