Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Motion Blur Max 8

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Hey All! My question is about motion blur, can motion blur be added to one object but not others? for example in my scene I added a particle effect but it didn't look very good so i added motion blur to the scene through Render->Effects . Now when i move anything though it adds motion blur way to much. Is there a way to add motion blur to one object but then not another like you do for glow with the object id? Any help is appreciated!
Post edited by Unknown User on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Yes. Not sure about the render effect motion blur (haven't really used it) but you can set up motion blur for single objects in their properties. Right click on the object, select properties and fiddle with the settings.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I see what you mean in the properties menu, but it's not working. I tried object, nothing then image and turned the multiplier up but still nothing. I tried none after that but nothing at all, i thought maybe it was the particles that it wouldn't work on so i keyframed a sphere so it was moving and tried everything on that but still no effect.
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    is it a particle flow system?
    Umm, i don't think so. I went under Create-> Geometry -> Particle Systems -> PCloud. The Pcloud is attached to a torus that goes around my laser cannon.

Here's What I Want It To Look Like (Has Blur Through Render->Effects -> Add Effects -> Motion Blur) This applies motion blur to everything and i don't want that, i want it to be applied only to one thing (the particles) because when the laser comes out it's motion blurred and looks horrible

Particles02.jpg

Here's What It Looks Like When I Try What Guerrilla Said (Obviously Not Working For Me)
    you can set up motion blur for single objects in their properties. Right click on the object, select properties and fiddle with the settings

Particles01.jpg

The Effect is supposed to look like a laser/phaser/whatever charging up. (gathering close energy etc..)
    hmmm
    i really dont know the method Mika explained should work on all particles except on Pflow, but if yours is not then i dont know!
    Make sure it's enabled in both the properties and the render window.

Also, you using the default scanline renderer or something else?
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    yeah, it probably has it's own motion blur. the settings you get with the properties panel only tends to work with scanline.
    Most renderers have their own properties panels for renderer specific properties. As to where to find it, no idea. Check the help file. :)
    tiberiusjojo, it wouldnt be bad to post your source file....it could give us, more information...if that is ok with the rest of you lot!
    Make sure the camera has Multi-Pass Effect enabled, and Motion Blur is selected in the pull down selection. That should set you up for Motion Blur in both the scanline and MR renderers.

Be warned, the MR Motion Blur is sloooooooooow. The scanline renderer will be faster than MR in this department. If you are using Max 9, the MR update is supposed to address the slow MR MB issue. I don't have any experience with that version however.

Good luck.
    Alright, I use Vray for a renderer and yes the motion blur takes a VERY long time to render (is there a way to make it faster?) but it looks the same as the scalene render so I'm happy, i got Guerrilla's method to work with Vray and I'm pretty happy with the result. Here's what i have, any pointers and tips would be helpful and thanks for the help everybody! I'm trying to recreate the "charging" effect by Ramiel as seen in his .avi by the way, http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-questions-answers/17525-particle-cannon-beam.html#post164052

Particles03.jpg