Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

BSG Ribbing (got to be an easier way)

Infinity238Infinity2380 Posts: 0Member
I'm starting my first BSG ship with ribbing, however there has to be a better way to do this outside of manually cutting and extudeing. Any secrets? tips? tutorials? all would be welcome.
Post edited by Infinity238 on

• FlyingmonkeyFlyingmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    I do not own 3ds max so I don't know what the equivalent is but I find the best way is to make a bunch of curves and then skin over them to make the ribs and underside all one.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    IIRC, lee used the julienne tool to cut the hull. The ribs were then selected and smooth shifted.

M.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I take it you didnt look in the tutorial section for my tutorial, how to make galactica ribs fast.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Someone did post something up on how to do BSG Ribbing and plating (could have just been plating) a little while back but it seems I am unable to locate it. Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine or the user who created it will see this and chime in.

Speak of the devil, just look up one post above this one.
  • Infinity238Infinity2380 Posts: 0Member
    LOL, I thought there was one already. But I couldn't for the life of me find it.
    Click on the forum "member tutorials", look down the list, half way down the front page.

Bingo.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    Biotech's method is probably faster and/or easier than what I did for the ribbing on the caravel in Kepler's Dream.

What I did there was to use boolean on a series of boxes that I placed across a copy of the main hull. Boolean is sometimes bear to deal with especially with arbitrarily curved surfaces.

I'm going to look at Biotech's method now.

Just read it, same method. Seems to be a consensus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I use loop cuts when i do ribbing. not sure if MAX has any equivalent.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    A bit of planning the loops, select loop, inset, extrude/bevel for the ribs in my WIP. Not BSG but damn it, but at least it's ribbed. :p
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    In Max, the inset function can sometimes distort your topology if you have a curved hull surface. As an alternate to using inset, you could try selecting an edge, hitting "ring" (to select the other edges that are in a ring with the selected one), hit "connect" to draw an edge bisecting those edges, then chamfer that new edge to create the faces to be extruded for the rib.

As for easy or quick, you'll have to do this manually. Sorry.
    My way is both easy and quick.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    biotech wrote: »
    My way is both easy and quick.

In theory, yes, but there is the distinct risk of multiple mesh errors from the boolean intersection. I'm not knocking your method, just pointing out that it does have potential downsides.
    Boolean errors have gone down in higher versions of max, especially when cuting with a perfectly square box.