Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Lava Fountain

SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
Hi :) .

I currently making a scene from Stargate - Tartarus:

7x12_272.jpg

The scene involves a lot of atmospheric volcanic effects. It's no big secret that I'm terrible with particles, and I am having trouble creating the large lava fountains that erupt around the base, such as these:

lava_small.jpg

Could anyone help me to make such an effect (in animated form) in 3DS Max 9?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
Post edited by SGA-3D on

• mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    Ask pixelmagic....he offered what your looking for some time ago in .max format...
    if he doesnt have it...perhaps i do somewhere on my hdd.....that of course with his blessing!
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Really? Thanks, I'll send him a PM.
  • Ze AratlossZe Aratloss171 Posts: 0Member
    Cool can't wait to see the wip on this one!
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    Particleillusion has several Lava-Effects, look at the Emitter-Library you have from me and you will found it.
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    I haven't seen the episode but i'm pretty certain they would have used stock footage for that effect. much like the mustafar lava eruption effects in EP3 which were mainly video from (iirc) mt etna layered in with the rest.

If its just a still you're making i'm sure you can find more pics like the example you posted and layer them in, due to the contrast between the lava and the rest of the image it's a pretty easy thing to isolate and use.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Yep, you're right Steve. This is where a lot of people fall down trying to make something overly complicated.

Do a google search for mount etna or volcanic eruption and create some alpha planes using the footage.
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    i would listen to these guys...cuz the pixelmagic stuff i have takes a lifetime to render :D
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    The beauty about doing it digitally is that it can be modified to suit the situation more easily than stock footage.