Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

ShapMerge . Autoclean of bad vertex

ZardozZardoz2 Posts: 0Member
Hey. the ShapeMerge of 3d max, is really useful for creating windows, paneling, etc... but have a big problem. It's create a lot of unnecessary vertex in the mesh (increasing a lot the poly count, and making bugs when you try to bevel faces without cleaning). So my big question, if there any automatic or self-automatic method fro cleaning these pesky vertex (or many of they). When you are shapemerging only a bit not complex splines, not is a big problem, but when the shape come complex, or are a lot of it, the job of cleaning come long (and boring) and heavy.
Post edited by Zardoz on

• BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    No quick or auto fix for shapemerge or booleans... but, I found that if I have a somewhat complex mesh and need to do either one, I detach that area as a clone and do my thing. You still have to clean up but, it doesn't corrupt the whole mesh.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Unhappyness, you can't leave the "target weld" feature behind... Yeah, you need to go there and clean all aditional verts...
  • ZardozZardoz2 Posts: 0Member
    BEMEUP wrote: »
    No quick or auto fix for shapemerge or booleans... but, I found that if I have a somewhat complex mesh and need to do either one, I detach that area as a clone and do my thing. You still have to clean up but, it doesn't corrupt the whole mesh.

It's that i'm doing in my D6.

I have a idea of a script that could help much. If you watch, these bad vertex connect only two edges (nearly all), so if we create a script that in a selected vertexs (to avoid doing in the full mesh), search for vertex that only connect two edges and remove it, we will nearly remove all bad vertex.

I'm begin to read the max scrip reference, and i think that we can try it. Tomorrow i will try to make some basic scripting...
  • RedEyeRedEye0 Posts: 0Member
    Shapemerge only has the auto-mess everthing up feature, not autofix. :p
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Zardoz wrote: »
    It's that i'm doing in my D6.

I have a idea of a script that could help much. If you watch, these bad vertex connect only two edges (nearly all), so if we create a script that in a selected vertexs (to avoid doing in the full mesh), search for vertex that only connect two edges and remove it, we will nearly remove all bad vertex.

I'm begin to read the max scrip reference, and i think that we can try it. Tomorrow i will try to make some basic scripting...

I think I read about that approach ones, the guy never did get it to work tho... but cool idea eitherway man!

Hope you make it, if you get it to work, you'll have saved a lot of people alot of time:thumb:
    Yeah .. i tought (before of disconect this night) that this idea, can work, in the script only erase the vertex that conect two edges and have the same direction (aka are in the same rect), if not, can erase corners and rounded lines of the shape. I need to see if max script can obtain the direction of a edge, or obtain the vector relate to a edge and compare it wich other....... If not, this only can work to a partialy bad vertex eraser (you select a group of bad vertex when you know that this script not will erase good vertex by error, and it will clean it)
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    I found that I rather move the offending vertex to a nearby one with vertex snap (and some luck) and then I get a preview sort of how offending the darn thing really are. Weld will after that fix stuff and I end up not loosing any stray edges. Still my approach sounds scriptable too, so it would be nice to see your script and try apply my technique to that.
    Ummm I'm afraid that i will not do these script (perhaps later .... i not know nothing about maxscript, and now , i not have too many free time to learn it)

But i get a workaround using the Glue plugin to doing that same thing that i was doing which shapemerge, that is doing plate patterns over a mesh surface in the same fashion of the K'Tinga. The good of this is that are more fast, not generate these lot of bad vertex. These plugin i use to conform a spline to the mesh. Later, which the conformed splines, i use face extrude modificator to create the faces, and i extrude these faces to create the plate. Looks equal of good that the shapemerge plate that i did before and is more quick (and less boring).

Im thinking about doing a small tut about it. Perhaps the next week i will do it.