Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Bevelling/Rounding Question

count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
Ok, this is for all the pro's out there who can give me an idea how the hell to answer this question once and for all.

For those of you who are on LWG3D.org as well, you've probably seen me ask similar questions over there, but I want opinions from non LW users as well.

When is it appropriate to Bevel? Specifically, let's take the example of simple room you'd find in a house, a bedroom maybe. Now, i've been told everything from bevel every edge in existance, to only bevelling a few select parts.

Here's an example. We have our bedroom, is it appropriate to bevel where the skirting board (made of wood or plaster) meets the gyprock wall? Or should it be left as a sharpish edge. Now i know that nothing in nature has a pure 90degree intersection, but any bevelling at this point implies that the wall and skirting are the one object, rather then a piece of wood/plaster that's been attached to gyprock with glue/nails.

Here's another example, say you have a flat bottomed bowl of fruit sitting on a tabletop, should the faces of the fruitbowl be bevelled on the tabletop where the surface of the table and the bowls base meet? Again, it implies that the bowl and the table are the one object, especially close up.

I think that the correct solution in both cases is to bevel the skirting edge and the bowl base back on themselves and offset them from their complementary surfaces (ie the wall or the tabletop) to use shadows to imply that they're not completely flush with each other, but i want a second, third, fourth and possibly fifth opinion on this matter. This question's been bugging me since i started doing CG interiors.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by count23 on
Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
Ambassador Class

• LennOLennO5 Posts: 0Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    Here's an example. We have our bedroom, is it appropriate to bevel where the skirting board (made of wood or plaster) meets the gyprock wall? Or should it be left as a sharpish edge. Now i know that nothing in nature has a pure 90degree intersection, but any bevelling at this point implies that the wall and skirting are the one object, rather then a piece of wood/plaster that's been attached to gyprock with glue/nails.

No Bevel. In fact, you don't really combine these two objects or in lw terms you would most likely have them on different layers.
    Here's another example, say you have a flat bottomed bowl of fruit sitting on a tabletop, should the faces of the fruitbowl be bevelled on the tabletop where the surface of the table and the bowls base meet? Again, it implies that the bowl and the table are the one object, especially close up.

No. The fruit bowl isn't connected to the table and there's certainly nothing bevel-like in this situation in nature. Combining them and beveling the connecting edge would be downright stupid ;)

The advice of "Beveling every edge" does not really mean beveling every single edge in your scene, but rather every single edge where it makes sense. It is true that there's no 90° Angle edge out there. However, some of these "bevels" are just so infinitesimally small that you shouldn't care about them. There's just two important questions: How close will i get? Will the bevel catch a highlight when I'm that close or not? If the answer to the second questions is yes, bevel. If not, don't. No need to waste polys on something you'd never see. On a typical high-res model that will result in a lot of beveled corners (which is good) but don't just go crazy with bevels. In your two examples they would not make any sense at all
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Thanks lenno, figured as much. Quick reply too!
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Here's another example for you, just another quick one that comes to mind based on what i've been doing myself.

Stay you're doing a sci-fi like room, or something that involves a lot of sharp edges like the bridge of a naval battleship. Both the roof and the wall, and the wall and the floor are all metal, is it appropriate to bevel in those instances where they interact with each other? or should they also be left as flat intersections.

As well, if you were to do a close up of any of those parts of the roof/wall or wall/floor interactions, what would be the most appropriate method to detail them? leave a small gap where they meet to imply that the metal are bolted together, or use some sort of jitter/disruption effect to imply two welded parts?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • LennOLennO5 Posts: 0Member
    Stay you're doing a sci-fi like room, or something that involves a lot of sharp edges like the bridge of a naval battleship. Both the roof and the wall, and the wall and the floor are all metal, is it appropriate to bevel in those instances where they interact with each other? or should they also be left as flat intersections.

Depends on whether they are welded together or not. If a straight intersection looks bad, I'd go with a bevel (small!) even though there might not be one in real life…99% of the times I'd go with the look of the original parts though which will most likely be the roof stacked on top of the walls.
    As well, if you were to do a close up of any of those parts of the roof/wall or wall/floor interactions, what would be the most appropriate method to detail them? leave a small gap where they meet to imply that the metal are bolted together, or use some sort of jitter/disruption effect to imply two welded parts?

That would also depend on whether they are bolted together or are welded together :p In the end though if it's a design of your own, go with the bevel if it looks better. Keep in mind though that bevels should either be subtle or multi-segmented if they are larger. Again…comparing what you want to build to real life parts will help you much. Bevels are not exactly a thing you "think" about while modelling, you just add them or not. You get a feel for what's needed or not, and I'd say if you know how certain parts are constructed or have to be constructed in real life you can easily apply this to cg. As always, with scifi you're pretty much free to do what you want, but then again even some of the most abstract scifi designs have connections to our reality and what we expect things to look like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Ideally, every single edge should have a slight bevel on it, if you can afford the added poly count. The reason isn't so much to make the bevel itself visible, but because it makes a huge difference in how the light/shading appear on that edge. A perfectly sharp edge looks really unnatural, you need that slight rounding to make it look right.

In the case of the bowl on the table, no, you wouldn't bevel the bowl/table edge. You'd just make sure you have a slight roundness to the bottom of the bow where it hits the table, not a sudden _ shape. If there isn't already a curved surface, you want to bevel it a bit.

Lets say you have this:

Bowl
                               _________
    ==Table==================================

You'd bevel it like this:

Bowl
                              O_________
    ==Table==================================

See where the sharp has been rounded out? That'll catch the light/shadows right, but without making it look like the bowl is melting into the table.

In the case of the metal scifi room, every single wall edge should be beveled. How much roundness you add depends on the type of joint... surface welds would be fairly rounded, while a sharp edge would have just a slight one.
    Thanks Peregrine, i pretty much figured that part about bevelling the bowl base but i wasnt so sure about the metal room part. :)

Hopefully i can stop wasting time on my rooms now and get progress on em instead of fiddling about.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it really should be up to you what you decide to do though, people tend to bevel edges because they think it looks good, so if you think it looks good then you should too, a lot of the time in 3D modelling you'll know what will look good before you've even made it, I've seen many models which don't have any edge bevelling on them and they render fine, but I prefer to have a micro bevel on the appropriate edges to make them react to the light more realistically, also if your scene is lit poorly then edges without a microbevel on them will be harder to see
    IRML, i noticed that.

a while ago i built a few sets for my friend's movie, we were experimenting with what we could and couldn't do with CG, the original sets looked impressive enough, especially using photorealistic textures we'd created, but they looked obviously CG (I have never used photoshop before, so that was out of the question at the time. And since it was just a "fun" video, detail wasnt too important).

As part of the finished product, i went and rebuilt these sets making sure that i bevelled, either severly or very slightly depending on the situation and it made them turn out much better. But i was concerned when a few "veterans" told me to bevel everything in sight, i knew that it wouldn't make sense to bevel a join between two seperate objects, but they weren't specific in their explanation.

Here's an example of some of the stuff i've been doing, now i know it's missing things like bump and specular maps in a few surfaces, but since the film was being graded in a certain way, the details were lost or produced unfavourable results.

This was also my first CG set, so i was still figuring out what looks best in such an environment. As you can see, the bevels did wonders for the work, (so did the changes to the lighting like Ray Tracing Shadows on :P ). But there were certain things i didnt bevel, like the intersection between those "struts" and the walls/roofs.

I also wasn't certain whether i should be bevelling on objects like the white of the light panels meets the grey frames they were in.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Really depends on how close you get as well :)
    well those shots were as close as we got to the background, and there was a slight blur, so i took the cheap road and skipped out on the bevelling.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class