Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

seamless spherical Background-Image ?

RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
hi,

any tips / tutorials how to generate a background-image (stars, clouds, glowing suns, maybe a planet) without seeing the "end" of the image ? - and, how to get it 'more' realistic / cool looking ? ^^

thanks
Post edited by Ronin on

• aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    Why don't you just make the 2D bg-image seamless in photoshop ?! (note the inverted polar pinch might be a helluva thing to fix, better leave that part rather devoid of stars), as for realistic, most of it is black with stars... rather boring actually
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Hey Ronin, there's some pretty good tutorials out on the net for making nice Starfields, nebulas in Photoshop (if that's the application you use). This site - Solar Voyager.com, contains some nice tutorials on starfield creation. If you have Photoshop related questions I'll be happy to help you out.
  • RoninRonin0 Posts: 0Member
    creating a 2d-Background is no Problem, have found similar tutorials already.

thanks by the way, those links help improving my technics.

i meant, how to create a background image so it looks "good" when mappen onto a sphere (3d-background) :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    you haven't said which 3D app you're using

there are plugins out there which will render this for you in your 3D app, or you can try and do it yourself in photoshop but it's obviously a lot harder, you'd have to split the image vertically, swap the sides over, then paint in the new seam down the middle to make the halves match again, this lets the image tile horizontaly, then you have to work out how to use filter/distort/polar distort to create the spherical seamlessness at the top and bottom of the image

take a look at how planet maps are done, the image will probably have to be twice as wide as it is high, I'm sure it's possible to do it because I've done it before, also remember if you don't need to see the top and bottom of the sphere then don't bother doing it, if this is a land scene you'll have the land going out to the horizon so you don't need the bottom of the sphere, and if you've found a sky image with a very clear blue top then you'll probably only have to tile the image horizontally and create a cylindrical prjection, because then you can just fill in the rest with a single colour gradient