Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Engine Flare On 3dsmax

TveakkTveakk0 Posts: 0Member
hie i have to ask this again:D

i ask earlier on how to make en engine flare, but that web-site doesnt open anymore, can anybody show me how to do it?
Post edited by Tveakk on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Can you post a pic of the kind of flare you want, and I'll try to tell you how to do it. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • TrueSacredRahXephonTrueSacredRahXephon0 Posts: 0Member
    How about one like this? I could never figure out how to do this.
  • TveakkTveakk0 Posts: 0Member
    well either of these two will be k, but i like the second one btter, any help :D thanx:thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    the first one just seems like an omni light with some volume lighting effects and a high multiplier....just make sure you turn on and set your Far Attenuation settings

The second seems like more of the same, but with two lights at different settings and scaled into the shape.
    malach wrote:
    the first one just seems like an omni light with some volume lighting effects and a high multiplier....just make sure you turn on and set your Far Attenuation settings

The second seems like more of the same, but with two lights at different settings and scaled into the shape.

thanx, hopefully ill find all the setting lol :D:thumb:
    hmm i dont get it, thi sis what i got
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    (/me looks on, waiting with baited breath. I, too, have been wanting to know how to do this. I found a free model on the net that had something called "SphericalGizmo". Inside of it, he had combustion, and 1 or 2 other settings. I cannot find a modifier/primitive called "Spherical Gizmo" and I have 3DS Max with Service Pack 3 installed)
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    Spherical Gizmo is located in the create panel under 'helpers' I think. Or somewhere around there. Look for 'Atmospheric Apparatus'. Then forget about combustion. :p The effects usually look really bad for the rendertime they consume.

The first example is probably just a simple glow on the engine material. Easy enough to set up:

1. Find the material you use for your engines (probably a simple colour or gradient with high self illumination value). Give it a material ID different from zero. The number doesn't really matter, but it's important that objects/materials that you don't want to glow have a different number. It's the blue number in a grayish box under the preview window.
    2. Fire up Video Post, add a scene event and a Lens Effects Glow Event.
    3. Assign a glow to the Material ID you picked for the engine.
    4. Fiddle with the settings to get the effect you want.
    5. Render, fiddle some more and render some more, until the glow looks the way you want it to look.

--Alternative Approaches--
    Intead of materialID you could use Object IDs. You assign these by right clicking on the object, selecting Properties and fooling around with the number in the lower right corner. You can also skip the videopost altogether and use the Render-->Effects-->Lens Effect Glow. Whichever works for you.

The second example is probably either a volume light or a clever texture. Here's a real quick tutorial:

1. Create a cone (or whichever geometric shape suits your engine) where you want the thruster to be. Right click, properties, turn off cast and receive shadows.
    2. Make a material with the colour you want the center of your flare to be and give it a high self illumination value. Assign the material on the cone.
    3. Create an omnilight at the base of the cone, assign attenuation depending on how big you want your flare to be. Scale the gizmo (round thing around the light) so that it looks like an engine flare.
    4. Assign a glow on the cone (see above)
    5. Go to Render --> Environment and add a volume light to the scene. Pick the omni light you just created, turn on attenuation settings and fiddle with the colours and intensities until you have a pretty cool flare.
    6. You can also add a lens effects flare on the omni for added effect.

There are a number of other ways, but these should get you started. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I have been experimenting with two targeted spotlights, with different colours, intensities, and varing amounts of volume light, heres what I have so far.
    thanx if any probs ill ask.
    That looks wickedly cool!
    K i tried and tried, but i seem to always get something wrong.

my guess is that i dont know how to assign the glow to the cone :D

a little help plz!!!:thumb:
    Never mind i got it :D thanx
    Tveakk wrote:
    Never mind i got it :D thanx

How did ya do it?

-joel
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9829 Posts: 5,332Member
    volume light effects dont have anything to do with geometery. Google up tuts on volume light effects. Plenty of walkthroughs out there. The settings are in the light menu when you apply a light to the scene.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • d4rk3lfd4rk3lf0 Posts: 0Member
    I have answered already in detail how to use video post glow, so take a look at this thread.
    Threedy Forums - Lightsaber!

Also, if you wanna just more realistic effect, consider finding some freeware trail plug-in

Take a look here.
    MAX Plugins.de - the plugin database for 3ds max R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7 and R8.
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    How about one like this? I could never figure out how to do this.
    Well from what I can see I would use 2 particle streams. 1 Continous & 1 Pulsed. The only problem I'd see coming up is getting the timing right on the merging of the two at the end of the stream.
    How did ya do it?

-joel

Well i mainly followed guarilla's tutorial,

the part i didnt understand :thumb: was how to make the cone to glow.

so simply, go to render>effects> add glow.

then on the actual cone right click>properties> and find in there object Id.

change it to 2 3 or what ever number you want.

then go to effect panel, press on glow and go on actuall glow options, and click on object iD change the number to what ever number you placed on the cone.

then just fiddle with the options.
    hopefully u got it :D

This is what i got by now, but im still working on it.
    Thanks guys...

Found a pretty good tut here:

3D Studio Max Tutorials | Tutorial Outpost

-joel
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    That link isnt pointing to an engine tutorial.
    biotech wrote:
    That link isnt pointing to an engine tutorial.

Sorry - It's the first page of a lot of Max tutorials. Some of which is Lighting.

Thought I'd share a resource

-joel
  • SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
    the cone is a light ? If o you could add an noise modifier to the light intensity in order to create the effect more realistic ... i'll post something tomorrow to show you what I mean :)
  • BPhelmetBPhelmet0 Posts: 0Member
    alright guys, finally, my tutorialon exaughst
  • InsurrectionistInsurrectionist331 Posts: 0Member
    My first attempt of making a engine flame.

EngineFlare1.jpg
  • nulllnulll0 Posts: 0Member
    A while ago i spend some time on creating a few animated engine exhaust effects and related effects (also see my topic about it here : http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-questions-answers/9357-animating-engine-exhausts-flares-3ds-max.html).

Right now i have 2 main effects that are finished.
    First one is an engine exhaust, using 2 streched spheres to simulate the core of the flame, using a transparant material with a falloff. These 2 are grouped and have an animated noise modifier to it, the outer sphere also has a glow with some sort of electric/gaseous effect to it. Inside the engine there's a very bright light with a falloff set so it doesn't light anything outside the engine and i also excluded some geometry i couldn't get unlit throught the falloff settings. There's a noise modifier to animate the intensity of that light. Sometimes i replace this light with self-iluminated geometry and a bloom effect to give it a very slight glow feel but i prefer using a light. Finally there's a volume light with an animated noise effect and a noise modifier applied to the far attenuation. I also add a trail effect, which comes from a free plugin mentioned earlier in this topic.

Second effect i used only for a gate so far, but i'm planning to make a slightly modified version for engines. The main difference is that there's no geometry to simulate a flame, just a volume light, but there's some sort of pulsing effect. I made this with a particle effect and simply used a torus with a large outer diameter (about same as the engine) and a very very small secondary diameter. It's so thing its barely visible, then i just apply a glow effect to it. Material of the torus is self illuminated and same color then the glow, so in case it does show up on the render, it'll be indistiguishable (spelling?) from the glow effect.
    Actually, the rippling water effect for this same gate, will also be used inside larger engines...

I do use Final Flares for my effects, but it should work similar for Max' own glow effects. I have to look where i left the examples of these 2 effect and upload them in a bit.
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Bio... cool idea, I have to try that one:D... hmmm funny how one thinks one knows all the small tricks:D
  • nulllnulll0 Posts: 0Member
    And here's the animated examples :

1 - simple engine only + effect : http://www.nulll-void.com/misc/engine/example01.avi

2 - the gate (this is a scene from a short animation i made, straight out of max, no postwork, background made in photoshop) : http://www.nulll-void.com/misc/engine/example02.avi (10 megs, i couldn't get it smaller).

The second effect can be done with a particle system only and not using the torus as i explained in my previous post, it's just a bit trickier to get it right.