Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender Tool Prototype - Spinbetween

Four Mad MenFour Mad Men0 Posts: 0Member
My third real entry into the Blender tool writing arena brings a new tool I call "Spinbetween". It's a spin extrude, but instead of a single spline it uses two (a start shape and an end shape). Proof of concept is complete. At present it only works for 90 degree spins through the Z-axis but making it work for other situations won't be difficult.

Here's a screen shot of a couple of tests... I call the left side "Dalek" (made with two spins and a mirror along the Y-axis) and the right side "Curved impulse deck" (made with one spin and a mirror along the X-axis and the Y-axis),
spinbetween_test.jpg
Post edited by Four Mad Men on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Not overly sure that this belongs in the Q&A, so I've a feeling that we may need to move it - must admit thought, that I'm not overly sure where to at present.

Can you display these images again (or something similar) showing the axis points and the two splines being used to spin them / how they interact?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    ^ That would be helpful.
  • Four Mad MenFour Mad Men0 Posts: 0Member
    The three splines for the "Dalek" one have been deleted already. But the two for the other shape are here. Over the course of the spin the shape changes from the one you see on the left to the one you see on the right.

spinbetween_test2.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    could you explain how one would do this. with pictures preferably
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    4MM, whenever you get this working, I want a copy.

I really should get up off my duff and try writing Blender scripts. I was a Python programmer long before I learned Blender.
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    This sounds remarkably like Rhino's spline tools. Nice work.
  • Four Mad MenFour Mad Men0 Posts: 0Member
    Dallidas wrote: »
    could you explain how one would do this. with pictures preferably
    Well the tool is a manually run script right now so until it's done all I can do is describe how I plan on making it work.

Step 1 - Select start spline
    Step 2 - Select end spline
    Step 3 - Set number of steps and interpolation type
    Step 4 - Go

The angle of the spin will be calculated from the spline data so no need to set that.

nyrath wrote: »
    4MM, whenever you get this working, I want a copy.

I really should get up off my duff and try writing Blender scripts. I was a Python programmer long before I learned Blender.
    Sure thing. I release all my scripts and this one will be the third so just keep an eye out on the Blender sites for it. It was kind of cool getting the BlenderNation article written for another script I made so perhaps this one will get the same treatment.
    This sounds remarkably like Rhino's spline tools. Nice work.
    Blender calls it "Spin". Which is in Blender now but it uses a single spline shape, during my Connie work I decided I would create this and see where it would lead.