Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP Firestar Klingon starbase

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited June 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Working on a starbase for the Klingon. Called it FireStar, that should be: qul Hov in Klingon...I think.
Anyway I got those 3 pillars idea that can change position, and should be attached around a ring with a center object.

qulhov_by_komaro28-db0t5xe.jpg
qulhov01_by_komaro28-db0t5xf.jpg
qulhov02_by_komaro28-db0t5xk.jpg
111712.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Made the junctions. Wasn't that easy since I tried doing it round at first...but it made no sens and made the design so hard to fit. Anyway this way I get a better Klingon feel to it then a round ring.

qulhov03_by_komaro28-db157n2.jpg

qulhov04_by_komaro28-db157n8.jpg

qulhov05_by_komaro28-db157nf.jpg
    Central part upper section. Also why it's called Firestar in a sens...Change for an omni light to get a better idea of the shapes. I just hope I don't get discourage along the way...this seems like a long thing to do.

qulhov06_by_komaro28-db1g92w.jpg
    qulhov07_by_komaro28-db1g92y.jpg
    qulhov08_by_komaro28-db1g934.jpg
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Interesting. Does have a Klingon vibe to it. I can see how a ring would throw the look off and not quite work. :thumb:
    update. Decided to put more round object below.

qulhov09_by_komaro28-db1k1qw.jpg

qulhov10_by_komaro28-db1k1r5.jpg
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting, the central piece also has a bit of a Dead Space "Marker" vibe about it.
    I should point our that the space station is up right for modelling, because it should be more or less horizontal. The 3 point structures are also movable independently and include propulsion. The propulsion is for moving the base of course but also to turn it for gravity (if needed). They are supposed to go almost at the top of the double pyramids when they retract upward (I didn't test it yet).
    The red color will not be everywhere but it would be a base color. Working on details on the 3 engines monster.

qulhov12_by_komaro28-db2de1j.jpg
    qulhov13_by_komaro28-db2de1m.jpg
    Texturing effects with specular and bump. I choose a more rectangular tangling that I did in Illustrator.

qulhov14_by_komaro28-db30nno.jpg
  • commandersozocommandersozo504 Posts: 630Member
    great stuff, thnx for sharing.
    to me, it looks more tholian then klingon. just a thought...
    Thanks. There is not much reference regarding Starbase for Klingon. I started more around the architecture seen on there planets...but even then, all those mate paintings looks very similar for Cardassian, Klingon and some other aliens (some recycling I suppose). I didn't look at all toward Star Trek Online. It's more like a mix of Babylon 5, the Klingon logo, etc...
    Trying to add pipes and tubing. I really hate trying to make those. 3dsmax is absolutely horrible in that department. Tried 2-3 scripts. I finally bought Tycoon script...seems more fluid. Still have to practice with it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Splines and extrusions or extrude to spline in poly mode on a object. I do the latter a lot when I have to do that sort of crap. More often I get lazy and bruteforce a cyl object and manually rotate the loops and chamfer it. It is completely wrong but hell pull away enough and you cant tell it is not a properly radiused tube. :D

Extrude along a spline method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmz5FrL3XI
    )god I hate those floaty tools)

Cannot find a extruding a spline along a spline but it is what I do for phaser strips. The rounded ends are hinged in poly edit mode.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Thanks MadKoiFish. I didn't know of that method...but somehow doesn't fix the horrible process of making pipes. Tycoon is decent in the sens that I can make a small cylinder, switch it to polygon...then Tycoon can add more of the same cylinder on top of the other with some manipulator like bend,angle,direction etc...and you attach them together. You can see the result below. I have done a couple of them. Less time consuming I guess, but the small script is a bit buggy. You have to save before working with it.

qulhov16_by_komaro28-db3juzt.jpg
    qulhov17_by_komaro28-db3jv00.jpg
    qulhov18_by_komaro28-db3jv08.jpg

If some of you are interested, I founded it here (not free):
    http://yvovonberg.nl/index.html
    Eh with max I save before doing ANYTHING. lol Max will crash if a mouse farts. I am on 2012 so atm I have to deal with the non intersected vertice chamfer crash and memory leak with large files.
    Hopefully you use incremental save. (my projects folder is like 3tb cause of this lol)
    Well I regret switching to 2017...I found it twitchy with plugins and scripts, and the redo function is worst then before (it sometimes save and erase the redo). Maybe the incremental as something to do with it (i will do a test). The 2016 was my favorite to date. I wish they would upgrade their modelling one of these days, but Autodesk is clearly focus on Maya and Autocad.
    Check the settings, you can set undo/redo to 99 instances max if I remember. Saving erasing undo or redo has been a sporadic issue since 2010 maybe further back lol. Autobak is my bane as even with using a SSD to speed up saving performance it can lag up the system up to 3 min while it backs up a file or chooses to do so when Im in the middle of a action like chamfering etc that could cause a crash. So simple of a fix to add in code to say do not do X while application is running a process. . . been this way since like forever. R5? (2002)

Anyhow turning off compression of files helps speed things up and could be a issue of the lost history too as it must put the file to memory while it compresses it to whatever format they use now. GNU ZIP etc.
    Details added, and define more the down section

qulhov19_by_komaro28-db479xx.jpg

qulhov20_by_komaro28-db47a0x.jpg

qulhov21_by_komaro28-db47a42.jpg
    Ah. Those 4 columns and 3 rings doesn't make any sens to me with the rest of the design. Scratch that.
    Change the bottom part a lot. I decided on 3 helix shapes around a central spine. I think it fits more into the rest of the space station.

qulhov22_by_komaro28-db4u79i.jpg

qulhov23_by_komaro28-db4u79m.jpg

qulhov24_by_komaro28-db4u79p.jpg
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Looks very interesting and it does remind me of the architecture on Kronos; however, the red doesn't speak Klingon. If you don't mind the suggestion, try an off green or blue-grey color, which is more standard to the Klingons. On a side note, I could see my carrier ship docked nearby and conducting resupply operations. You can find my carrier here.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?129-Klingon-Carrier-Concept-(once-again)
    I might change it to a more green color, but the Klingon logo is red and it's called firestar for that reason too. Of all the depiction of that logo, it's almost always red. I will try some combination eventually.
    Still working on this. I made some 2D paintings in betweens. So I change the color scheme, now adding the guns.

qulhov25_by_komaro28-dbb6oq3.jpg

This is with the raytracing for shadows
    qulhov26_by_komaro28-dbb6oqa.jpg

qulhov27_by_komaro28-dbb6oqg.jpg
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Looking good, the red just seemed too out of place, but this just makes it scream Klingon. Maybe you could locate it near a red star and that would account for the base's name.
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure of the colour. I need to put the logo somewhere too. Still have to do the torpedoes launchers which will be place below, and learn how to rig the 3 engines on the top so they move by pointing over the pyramid.
    So, I finished that base. Providing some images when the station is in attack mode vs standard mode (where it can rotate or move). I will do the final renders next in the finished section.

qulhov28_by_komaro28-dbc366e.jpg

qulhov29_by_komaro28-dbc366j.jpg

qulhov30_by_komaro28-dbc366q.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    This would fit with DISCOVERY's Klingons
    publiusr wrote: »
    This would fit with DISCOVERY's Klingons

Maybe...they seems more religious at first glance. I forgot to put the lighting and warning lights into the model, so I am not finished.
    Last wip renders. With warnings lights and spot lights. One in omni light, one in the dark.

qulhov31_by_komaro28-dbcwf9j.jpg

qulhov32_by_komaro28-dbcwf9q.jpg