Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dlatest concept

psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
edited March 2017 in Work in Progress #1
fptc001a.jpg
111372.jpg
Post edited by psCargile on
Tagged:

• psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    [video]

fptc004.jpg

fptc005.jpg

Configuration for 1g at (lower) hab and 1/3g (arbitrary) at propulsion unit at 2 rpm. Spacecraft orientation based on Damon F. Landau's solution to allow spinning induced artificial gravity through orbit change maneuvers. (This Google search for pdf)

I have begun using color temperature and wattage of real lightbulbs for a more authentic look. Sun object is a shadowless circle ngon with a copy rotation constraint locked to the camera, parented to the sun lamp with the same blackbody emission and strength.

This would be a typical cruise mode.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Well, I won't pretend understanding the principles of what your doing or your design...but that's a cool animation. The lighting is great, makes me think of Interstellar type of lighting.
    This is based on an article I found at Science 2.0 that discussed problems with spin induced artificial gravity and engine burns for orbital changes. I can't recall off the top of my head the specific problem, but with conventional designs, spinning would have to be halted for the burn, and this might be something specific to tether spacecraft. The solution to allow spin during engine burn is to angle the exhaust 45A°, thus the direction of travel is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

I take the technology a step further, assuming advances in magnetics and superconductivity to replace tethers with magnetic fields to quantum lock the habitat unit and the engine ring to the magnetic controller at the vehicle center of rotation.

This model is more of a mock-up, and on my back burner. There is a planned star drive mode, whereby the engine ring rotates and the three units meet together, and a warp field is created. For the purpose of drafting a sci-fi horror story, the warp field creates it's own space inside the bubble so that no matter how far the ship goes before the warp field decays and collapses, the same amount of time passes onboard, and the crew experience strange and terrible things.