Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA Sovereign styled Nova

WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
edited February 2018 in Work in Progress #1
I figured that it was finally time to try emulating a canon ship. If you head to my Deviant Art or Warehouse pages, you'll see that I tend toward unusual designs for my Star Trek ships. (the Ranger is my favorite.) This is in part because I like the freedom of using my own ideas, but also because much of my modeling is happenstance and I fear I would do canon ships injustice.

I thought I'd start with the Nova Class because it is small, but not overly simple. A nice challenge. Turns out, I disagree with many of the basic ideas behind that ship.

The saucer is great and I like the mono-hull design. It has a nice squat, rough-and-tumble feel to it's general proportions. But, the engineering section is a potato. It is lumpy and meanders around frustratingly. The deflector dish is a non-sequitur. The impulse drive is mounted so far off the center of mass that it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

But, the Sovereign is a real beauty aesthetic design.

I'm hoping I can take the great proportions and basic idea of the Nova and add some Sovereign design styles. My new goal is to make a ship which is at least usable in scenes by having enough canon styling to not look out of place.

The Nacelles are stand-ins. A different shape will be used for them, but I wanted to try a mix of the Nova and Sovereign styles.

The Waverider shuttle outline is also a stand-in and is borrowed from Raul Mamoru's Nova model.
110955.jpg
110956.jpg
110957.jpg
110958.jpg
Post edited by WideFoot on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks good so far. I definitely like the bottom of the engineering section better than the canon version.
  • WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    It is the bottom of the engineering section that got me started in this direction. I could have lofted between a series of cross-sectional plates, but there are so many different curves in the original ship from so many different directions that it was beyond my abilities.

The Sovereign curves are more pleasant and easier to create. (although, I still used a lofting technique)

Some of the original sketches show a simpler design, but the end result was somewhat different.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 413Member
    I like it
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    That's a lot of geometry you've got going on there! Which plugin did you use?
    Primarily Curviloft by Lib Fredo. I use the "loft from spline curves" option for just about everything, but I usually make my spline curves very regular. I count the number of edges in curves to make sure they match up and I place curves close enough together so that I can just use Curviloft to draw all of the single lines between them (not inventing spline curves of it's own). There are one or two places where I've used the "skin from wireframe" option.

I also have discovered the joy of irregular bezier curves. There are a LOT of them in this model and I have a few plugins for it. I haven't decided which one I like best.
    Well, my computer just kicked it. So, I might not be updating for quite a while.

Grumble.
    Sorry to hear that. I've been in that boat before, I know others here have too, so we feel your pain.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Sorry to hear about your PC, I like your design better than the original!
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Seriously? What happened? HDD failure or a random component?

Good luck setting up a new rig man...
    The video card decided that everything should be green and that screens should only update every other second. It is a bit of a hindrance to modeling.

I still have my work laptop, but it is a 5-year old Think Pad to which I am not allowed to install programs. Surfing the web is about as interesting as it gets.
    At least all you need to replace is the video card. It could be worse.
    I get a friend's computer for a few days while he's away on business! So, I made some new nacelles.

I was thoroughly unhappy with the ones that I had added as placeholders.

In the continuance of mixing styles, I needed something which has shape cues from both the sovereign and nova classes. It turns out, they have surprisingly different nacelles.

I'm debating whether I should round the edges on the bottom side. It would make things somewhat messy, but might add some attractiveness.

WIP4.jpg
    WIP5.jpg
    WIP6.jpg
    111018.jpg111019.jpg111020.jpg
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    The smoothness you have right now on the nacelles looks good to me.
    To be honest, while I did like the overall design of the Nova class, the fluidity was frequently broken with harder edges on the nacelles, while TNG tried emphasizing the 'smoothness' and fluidity of the Galaxy class all round for instance.
    The Intrepid compromises on fluidity with nacelle pylons for example and even sometimes seems a bit too 'busy' on the outside.

Anyway... have you considered perhaps extending the aft portion of the nacelle pylons so they look like an arc where they connect to the nacelles going further backwards (similar to what I scrubbed up in MS Paint)?

Hehe... I apologize if I ruined the look of the image, but I feel lazy and MS paint is a bit more limited than Adobe. :D
    But you get the idea.
    111021.jpg
    WIP6.jpg 143.1K
    The nacelles look good. It's good that you were able to work on it some more. :)
    Well, that was an excellent idea!

By the way, if anyone knows how to retrieve dialog boxes (which don't appear on the taskbar or in the alt-tab selector) from screens which are no longer attached to the computer, I'd love a solution.

NYIQv8M.jpg?w=250
    It's time to think about greebles and windows and such. I went into this without any particular deck spacing in mind, but by complete chance, an 11ft. floor-to-floor height works perfectly in this ship. (yes, I know, Trek ships are done in metric, but by training I'm an architectural engineer in America and was taught exclusively in the imperial system.)

By comparison, a typical concrete office building has a f-t-f height of 10 ft. and a steel building has 12 to 14 ft.

I was looking at the curves in the saucer and I am worried that the deck spacing and window locations will conspire to interrupt the bezier curve I have draped over the saucer which I was going to use for texturing.

I plan on mounting a pair of impulse engines to the lower/aft edge of the saucer.

E9pOrza.jpg
    http://imgur.com/a/GqQXp

By the way, all images are here. There are a few earlier images of the ship before the initial blocking was complete.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Hm... I was wondering about greebles and things on ships.
    Namely, TOS Enterprise was originally imagined as most of the things being on the inside the ship... namely, technical efficiency means doing more with less.
    We could try to apply this analogy here for example.
    Some detailing on the hull can certainly be made, but avoid making it too busy... as if you want to emulate technical efficiency... things such as shield emitters and sensor arrays would probably be part of the hull - namely, designed to be part of the hull plating (think transparent windows that are capable of producing power from sunlight - that kind of thinking).

I was thinking on integrating something like that onto the Nightfire as I think that too much detailing might be the wrong direction for an advanced space-faring culture that's a lot more advanced.

But I digress, it's your design...

Btw, the new nacelle pylons certainly do look more appealing...
    ...Actually, I was planning on cutting all kinds of holes in this hull.

Specifically:
    • Replicating many of the sensor arrays of the Nova Class
    • Adding hull plate details similar to the Sovereign Class
    • Adding a smattering of windows
    • Vents in the nacelle struts
    • Escape pods
    • Impulse engines
    • The hull plate grid detail (which many claim is the way deflector shields are projected)
    But, I am planning to make the unblemished base model (the condition it is in now) available along with the final model.

I do understand liking the smoother style. In TOS, that was a holdover from the smooth V2 rocket styled ships of Buck Rodgers and other works of that era. But, after 2001: A Space Odyssey, I think we can find a nice balance between the overall shape of a thing and the minute details in it.

And, Frankly, I like making the gritty stuff and looking at it.
    I have started on the long and arduous task of greebling the ship.

My life lately has been eaten by 14-hour days at work (and I'll be working this holiday weekend, greeeat....), but I got a few holes cut into the sweep under the aft end, I put some windows in the back of the bridge, and I smoothed out the nacelles a bit

I'll probably work on this from the back to the front, mostly because I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a bridge yet.

After this, I will add some hull plates. Usually, I am meticulous about this step, but this time I'm going to try using Lib Fredo's joint push/pull tool and his tools-on-surface offset tool. It will add some annoying geometry and require more cleanup, but it will make the initial design steps much faster.

The final initial blocking geometry is also complete, so here is that mesh. (with some windows cut into the back of the bridge module.)

Etu8Dav.jpg

VakfKmN.jpg
    Looking good so far. :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I really like this concept. Nice execution so far.

There is one thing I would like to suggest, though. The platform that the bridge will be sitting on doesn't flow very well into the lower platform behind it. Maybe you could consider setting up the region to flow on either side more like it is with the Sovereign, but instead of where the main shuttlebay door is you could use that as your observation room. :confused: Just an idea.
    Well, the back side of that upper platform will be the observation room (the windows are already cut and everything!).

The lack of flow between those two platforms was a design idea I took from the Nova Class, which uses a similar series of platforms as it's spine.

But, I never really liked that area. I considered adding corner windows there, or something. But, that is just covering up a bad bit of design. You're right, it does need some smoothing. I can maintain the layered platform while adding some flow between the two.

Of course, this is not going to be an easy thing to build. hmmm...
    Well, I looked at the back end of the Sovereign Class saucer where the main shuttle bay resides between two apparent smoothing struts. It turns out, that's an optical illusion because that shuttle bay is actually set into the standard curve of the saucer and the smoothing struts are very small. But, the stuff around it makes it look like two large struts on either side of the bay. Primarily, it is the large flat mass which happens to be directly above the bay which makes the regular curve of the saucer look like this.

And, to make things more complicated for me, the top of the engineering section of the Sovereign Class is at nearly the same angle as the dome of the saucer. That whole area is one of my favorite things about that design, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to replicate it here in the much more cramped space.

I did try an initial design. (This is not final at all; nothing was cut.) In favor of going this way, things flow a little better. In opposition, it crowds the spine somewhat frustratingly. It also will need a lot of thinking about how to make this shape with the best possible flow, and that will be hard.

hjSwf6k.jpg
    I didn't have time to convey what I was trying to describe in my last post (like I realized that was already an observation room), but you nailed what I was thinking very well.
    Well, I beat this thing into submission and got a smoothed transition between the decks which I like. Thank you for the suggestion! This was not easy, but it was worth it.

And, now I can get back to greebling.

HdvKobe.jpg
    Oooh, nice job. You took it in a slightly different direction, but it fits really well.
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    Well it definitely looks worth it to me. Great job!

What does it look like from the side?
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    It's looking great so far dude! :thumb:
    Thanks! I just got my computer up and running again, so now the ship has impulse engines.

This evening I plan on cutting some additional holes for sensors in the bottom of the saucer, so an update is incoming.