Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattle Carrier (capital ship from a scifi novel I'm writing)

• SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Thanks evil_genius_180!
    Exactly my point. I made my carrier the way I wanted to, its design is embedded in the story of my book, it's intimidating, it's something that people can identify with now and I think it's very cool looking. It will look even cooler when the image maps are applied and it's lit properly with all the special effects. :)
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    I have seen this argument many times before and I hate it every time. By doing what you are saying you are throwing out rule #1 of sci-fi, respecting science. Doing so you create space fantasy, not sci-fi. As much as I love Star Wars, it is space fantasy, as it never really respected science, philosophy yes, science, not so much. Old school trek respected the science of the day and tried to roll with it as much as it could as new principals and theories disproved the old, but it always respected the science (almost). Moving forward, Babylon 5 respected the basic science, Mass Effect respected basic science and physics. Good sci-fi respects science, and uses a minimum of handwavium to move the story along:
    Trek: Anti-matter, warp drive and teleporters
    Babylon 5: Hyperspace
    NuBSG: Jump Drives and AI, otherwise it respected newtonian physics, even if they did get a little soft.
    Mass Effect: Element Zero
    As much as I also love Macross, it is more fantasy then Sci-Fi, but still respects basic physics, even if it doesn't show at times (due mostly to Kawamori being an aero/mech engineer).
    I'm not saying that your design, or your story is bad. But try and respect the science and justify your designs with more than just the Rule of Cool.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    There's nothing wrong with space fantasy. As you say, it works for Star Wars. Though, the key to doing successful space fantasy is to explain nothing. IE: We have technology, it just works, no need to explain how or why it works. It's like turning on a light. Your character flip the switch, it turns on. There's no need to explain how flipping the switch completes the circuit, allowing the electricity to travel to the bulb. Things like that, only with unknown technology. We hit the lever, we go to hyperspace.

Anyway, that's one thing to keep in mind. As Knight26 said, you can do things just because, but then it's not science.
    Both of you make good points, now back to the carrier.

Been working on the "tech paneling" replacing what I had in all the curved corners on the superstructure as I was not happy with my lazy attempt to simply block something into the corners, it didn't look very good. Going to be working on finishing the "tech paneling" on the remaining two levels and the island plus adding detail to the top of the decks and the big guns next. Also now that I have this "tech paneling" on the carrier I'm not happy with the armor plating I put around the edge of the flight deck so I'm going to replace it with "tech paneling" as well.

test.jpg
    110953.jpg
    Looking great. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Comeon..... Science Fiction, Science Fact, Space Fantasy.... That's like arguing over who's got the better imaginary friend....
    Stop differentiating so much and enjoy.
    Making some progress... though this paneling is driving me nuts. :p

test.jpg

test 2.jpg
    110973.jpg110974.jpg
    Paneling is like that. ;) It's looking great, though. So what if the cost is your sanity? It's worth it. ;)
    Thanks e_g_180! I'm hoping to have the paneling all done this week so I can move on to other details. My sanity left years ago! Between 3DS MAX and a 25 year long career in I.T., computers have robbed me of... Oh look a purple puppy with green spots! LMAO! :lol:
    That's OK. Being crazy is more fun. :devil:
    Very true! :D
    Lots of small details added on the island and the superstructure this week. Can't wait to have this beast finished. :)

test.jpg
    110984.jpg
    test.jpg 273.1K
    As I've been getting closer to finishing the superstructure I've started hating the big gun turrets more and more. They didn't seem to fit with the rest of the model and I was having difficulty adding detail to them because of all the curved surfaces. This morning I decided they had to go and I replaced them with a more traditional 3 barrel battleship turret. I feel the new turrets fit better with the rest of the model and will be easier to detail. This also fixed a problem I was having coming up with something to fill the gap when I raised the barrels of the old turrets. :)

test.jpg
    110996.jpg
    test.jpg 306.3K
    I prefer the old turrets, you don't have to do that much detailing on them. The new ones look too old school, like they were recycled from a WW2 battleship.

16in_Gun_Turret.jpg
    111016.jpg
    I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the carrier this week, but I did manage to finish the detailing on the new gun turrets today. Hopefully I'll have the superstructure finished in the next week and I can move on to finishing the rest of the ship.

test.jpg
    111017.jpg
    I just spotted a few missing pieces and a floating gun turret after I posted this picture. DOH!!!!! Oh well they are fixed now.
    I just noticed all the Phalanx Turrets on the bridge. Why so many? That is a crazy amount of them, especially given all the other clusters you have in place. Are they still 20mm phalanx's like today? Also, the trunnions for for those would extend through into the next deck.

phalanx_20mm__ciws____final_with_textures_by_eumenesofcardia-d5yf4fk.png
    The engineer wanted to make sure that nothing got through to the bridge. No these are gattling laser canons so they are energy weapons. All the turrets are energy based no matter what size they are.
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Man How did I miss this thread!:argh:
    Are you aware that his Build of yours, is in category of Legends like "Infinity", "Tan J", "Ice Dragon"???:p

Your Concept gets even better that it's an Original Build on a stand alone them! WELL DONE, keep up good work and am looking forward to more from you!:thumb:
    Thanks very much Darkone! I was on vacation for 3 weeks so I am just getting back to work on it today. I will post some new pics soon. :)
    Okay, going to try posting some pics from a new wordpress blog I started this morning. :)

The island superstructure is finally finished and I'm working my way down adding detail and replacing things I don't like anymore. While I was on holidays I rendered a few images with a simple lighting rig and played around with light settings for fun.

test-7.jpg?w=250

test-9.jpg?w=250

test-10.jpg?w=250
    It's looking great. :thumb:
    I've been modeling like crazy to get this thing finished. I added the shield emitters along the edge of the flight deck, put some greebles in the engine bays and added some window pods to the bottom of the hull. Today I will tackle the twin reactors and will be adding greeble type detail to the bottom hull. Hoping to have the modeling all done for Friday. Next week minor textures and special effects. :)

test-11.jpg?w=250

test-12.jpg?w=250
    I made some good progress on the reactors today! I didn't have time to render them though as it takes about 3 hours to render each picture. :)

test-13.jpg?w=250

test-14.jpg?w=250
    I rendered this image this evening. I'm very happy with how the reactors look so far. :)

test-15.jpg?w=250
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    That's alot of ENGINES you got there, however, it looks great!:thumb:
    Why are your reactors exposed like that? Those are the heart of your ship, and they are fully exposed to space. After the ridiculous number of turrets you piled onto the island structure you then left the reactors exposed. Also, why place them under a clear dome?
    Darkone wrote: »
    That's alot of ENGINES you got there, however, it looks great!:thumb:

LOL!

Thanks Darkone!

Yes lots of big engines for a huge ship - it's 1 1/2 miles long by 2/3rds of a mile wide by 1560 feet high from the top of the mast to the bottom of the reactor domes.

In my book it's capable of reaching speeds up to the speed of light to the 14th power and believe me that's a lot of zeros. Way past ludicrous speed. Funny thing about that is I'm trying to keep my story based in science for the time period which is 100 - 150 years from now, there is no mystical powers for anyone, no magical beams that they can fire at anything that might blow up that will stop it from blowing up. In doing my calculations and research for ship speeds I realized that if you need a ship to travel from solar system to solar system to solar system chasing bad guys etc. you have to travel at unimaginable speeds to get anywhere in the galaxy in a reasonable amount of time. I never realized how big space truly is until I sat down with a calculator. :argh:
    Looking really good so far, Sean. :thumb:
    SeanP wrote: »
    LOL!

Thanks Darkone!

Yes lots of big engines for a huge ship - it's 1 1/2 miles long by 2/3rds of a mile wide by 1560 feet high from the top of the mast to the bottom of the reactor domes.

In my book it's capable of reaching speeds up to the speed of light to the 14th power and believe me that's a lot of zeros. Way past ludicrous speed. Funny thing about that is I'm trying to keep my story based in science for the time period which is 100 - 150 years from now :argh:

Um, so you are breaking Relativity, or using some kind of warp/alcubierre drive? Or are you just assuming that C is not the universal speed limit despite all the science behind it?