Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarwars - TFA Behind the scenes.

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2016 in Finished Work #1
Hi,

Starwars - The Force Awakens; behind the Scenes shots (re-imagined as physical props - Vintage style).

TFA Falcon by Alain Rivard.

:)

Wiz.

paul_wiz_johnson_tfa_falcon_behindthescenes.jpg

paul_wiz_johnson_tfa_behind_the_scenes_02.jpg
110143.jpg
110144.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Damn, dude. Excellent work, the Falcon and thing holding it up both look real. Change the dish to the old one and those would really look like a BTS pics from the original trilogy.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks matey :) Here is a close up shot on some of the detailing in Alain's model :)
    110145.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Except for the blue reflection in the cockpit windows, you could pass these off as actual photos from the movies. The physical models didn't have glass in them just so there wouldn't be a reflection.
  • LatosLatos335 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great Wiz, last one my favorite. Can you share your post process? What render layers do you use? What post filter do you apply? (I can se blur, texture overlay, chromatic, color correction, film damage, but there one something in there that's so good in selling realism, what is it?
    Thanks guys!

Yeah Tralfaz, but it just looked so odd without Glass :P (so I used some artistic license there ;)).

Yep, that's pretty much it Latos, but I over-saturate the layer and add radial/gaussian/motion blur and slight bloom

Also I do a noise removal, then pump back up the detail to get the softer edges and washed aged look on the paint.

Although sometimes I will use surface blur to soften the edges.
    Here is an early lighting test (no post), so this is what I start with :)
    110146.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That close up image is just lush.

:thumb:
    Yeah, the closeup is freaking sweet.
    Falcon cockpit lighting test (ESB style - Belly of the Space slug :)).
    110150.jpg
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nice :)
    Another "behind the scenes" shot of the physical Falcon model for TFA. This time the filming miniature ;)
    110157.jpg
    TFA - VHS Wars! ;)
    110182.jpg
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    MY GOD! Impossibly realistic images! I don't know how are you doing it, I think you're the magician.
    Thanks, and it's all smoke and mirrors! ;)
    Paul, just a thought but have you ever considered what R2 would look like being tortured by Kylo Ren? :p
    No one tortures R2 in the corner!
    Another one! :)
    110252.jpg
    What part of the movie is that supposed to be from? :p
    A deleted scene; they had another Deathstar (just behind the Starkiller base :P), the film actually went on for another hour and a half... ;)
    That I can almost believe. :lol:
    The ending scene was supposed to be 30 minutes long instead of 7....Rey walking around the island, snapping pictures on her SpacePhone, and 10 minutes of a back and forth staring contest between Rey and Luke; with a 4 minute extended cut of Luke's hair and beard flapping in the wind.
    Unfortunately they had to trim all that for time :D
    That's probably all being saved for the second Blu-Ray release. :p
    There's also a scene with Ents on Luke's island and Saruman falling to his death in the extended edition because of an unfortunate bet between JJ Abrams and Peter Jackson. :lol:
    On a serious note, they actually did have a scene planned to show Luke's disembodied hand and lightsaber floating towards the planet where his lightsaber is found. (not a major spoiler for people who still haven't seen the film, as plenty of promotional stuff shows Finn holding Anakin's/Luke's 'saber) Fortunately, that was deemed to not make a lot of sense, so it was dropped. Aside from that, it also presented a major problem from a scientific standpoint, as he lost his hand on Bespin, a gas giant and it's extremely unlikely to have escaped the gas giant's massive gravity pull and started "floating."

It's always interesting to see what kind of crap makes it to the cutting room floor.
    The Timothy Zahn novels indicate that the severed hand and lightsaber were recovered by the Empire from the bottom of Cloud City, so they did not fall out with Luke (it must have been other debris falling out with him).
    I know. In fact, I'm currently re-reading "Heir to te Empire." However, whether the hand and 'saber fell out (now that those novels aren't canon) or stayed in Cloud City, they wouldn't be floating through space. It would still be in Bespin or Cloud City. Somebody could have retrieved the 'saber from there, as was done in those novels.
    Wasnt his hand and light sabre discovered and then used to clone evil Lukes? Or something along them lines.
    Wiz wrote: »
    Wasnt his hand and light sabre discovered and then used to clone evil Lukes? Or something along them lines.

Yes, indeed it was.