Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Well, that was kind of expected

SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2016 in General Discussion #1
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/crowdfunded-star-trek-movie-draws-851474

Serious trouble for Axanar ... and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Post edited by Sanderlee on

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    CBS knew what the people at Ares Digital were intending. Why did they wait so long to complain?

It would be a nice PR move for CBS to leave them alone, or maybe even buy into it.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe CBS was worried because Axanar looks so much better than anything they came up with themselves.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    rojren wrote: »
    CBS knew what the people at Ares Digital were intending. Why did they wait so long to complain?

That's the real question. They raised that money months ago, it's not like it just happened. Maybe their legal department had to sift through a bunch of legal crap to figure out what they wanted to do about it.

The funny thing is, Axanar is getting this attention because it raised over $1million in its Kickstarter campaigns, yet that amount of money wouldn't even get one of Paramount's movies past pre-production. It's not even that much by TV show standards anymore. I'm sure CBS spends more than that putting together pilots for TV shows that never see the light of day.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Yea, it wasn't exactly the highlight of my evening... aside from suing over Axanar... and instead of spending money on a new TV series, they should remaster DS9... but that's just me. xD
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Haven't been following the project too closely, so this was somewhat surprising. I've also seen that Tony Todd has pulled out of the project, for various reasons.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Yea, it wasn't exactly the highlight of my evening... aside from suing over Axanar... and instead of spending money on a new TV series, they should remaster DS9... but that's just me. xD

Quoted for truth.

Can't believe it. I guess either their new show they have planned is dealing with similar themes, or they didn't like the fact Axanar is shaping up to look better than anything they currently have in development.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    I'm afraid that's it. Beeing sued for breaching the copyright of CBS and Paramount will certainly kill Axanar. The chance for a compromise settlement regarding this IP issue is minimal at best.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    I keep hearing it's not about copyright, but rather the nature around the creation of the Ares Studio... using funds from the project to create a studio that will be "rentable..." and this for-profit, again, so I've heard...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    If CBS kills axanar I will not pay them a cent to watch their new series on their rent a channel.
  • wibblewibble1143 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 510Member
    It's not over yet!

http://www.axanarproductions.com/captains-log-jan-4th-2016/

I am sure most of you follow Axanar's Blog and have already read this. But I still had to post this, cause it's like it would directly answer to some of the statements made here.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ironic, given that this is coming from Alec Peters, the same guy who had his own armchair lawyer moment some months back, when he said all over Facebook that the one Star Trek Continues episode was taken off of YouTube by CBS because they used an image from TOS in their closing stills. In reality, the episode was taken down due to an error and CBS worked hard to get it put back up. So, to me, that blog post is Alec as the pot calling the kettle black.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I would say that Paramount are pushing this more than CBS. Peter has stated that he was in talks with CBS a few months back, after that meeting they removed the Star Trek name from the project so that it was just known as Axanar. So there was some was some communication between the project and CBS.

The reason I think it more Paramount than CBS, is because they are scared that this will do far better than their last two films. Let face the majority of fans are not really happy with the direction the films have gone. While the films are enjoyable from a non-fan point of view they are not the Star Trek that we love. So when a fan film is being made, that has the same production value as TV/films, which the fans are backing. Paramount is getting scared.

It is also no secret that Paramount is no longer as strong as they once where and not really had any major hit movies except for the Marvel films (which they are no longer involved with.) and the Transformer films. So when a fan project it getting more love and attention than what they are doing, they want to stamp it out.
    One thing is for sure, what the outcome. It will change the way fan films are made.