Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpiral War: Training Ship/Transport

Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
edited December 2015 in Work in Progress #1
I managed to fix mt autocad install and started working on the "hero/cover" ship for my next book. This is a training ship/transport used by the cadets in their last year at the academy. It features two spin rings for gravity, where the individual segments rotate 90 degrees when the ship is under thrust. The forward section is then for cargo, life support and hanger space for two fighters and four shuttles.

sen-trans-1.png
sen-trans-2.png
sen-trans-3.png
sen-trans-4.png
sen-trans-5.png
Post edited by Knight26 on
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Some more progress. I added in the various cargo hatches and airlocks, as well as the shuttle and fighter docks. I will have to increase the size of the fighter docks however, they are now too small. Weapons are in place, as are the thermal radiators/radiation shadow shields for the the engines. I might be able to get away with less of them though. Nyrath?
    sen-trans-6.png
    sen-trans-7.png
    sen-trans-8.png
    sen-trans-9.png
    sen-trans-10.png
    sen-trans-11.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work so far on the ship. I like how the design is shaping up. It's good that you were able to fix your Autocad installation. :)
    Fixed the fighter hangers to make sure that it could actually hold the fighters

sen-trans-13.png
    The marker Assault Fighter is pretty snug in the docking doors.
    sen-trans-15.png
    I had to add the extra length to the front to fit that Cutter Interceptor, and the wings just clear the main doors. Luckily the docking claws can pull them in cockeyed.
    sen-trans-17.png
    Yes Firehawk pilot we realize that you fighter fits in there with room to spare, you don't have to be a hot dog about it.
    sen-trans-19.png
    Um, I think the bomber crews might be upset that their craft are too big to fit inside the transports. Please don't hurt me.

Next I'm going to put the guns on raised platforms and add the rest of the sensors before I start cutting in the hull details to replace/desaturate the textures.
    Looking good. You could always scale it up. It doesn't look like you have any windows or personnel hatches that will mess up the scale if you make it bigger.
    Every other hab module has a set of windows, no interiors as yet. That dome on the nose is actually the bridge. But the bomber issue is irrelevant as the academy in question does not have a heavy bomber squadron. Also I think it will make an interesting (world building) scene to have a character board a ship with the other craft and note how they are docked in comparison.
    Oh, I didn't realize those were windows in the rings. As long as the ship doesn't need to carry the bombers, you're good to go. :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Nice work and I like the comparison shots. Glad to see that you got AutoCAD working again. :)
    I am debating enlarging the drive section, partially because I don't like where the reverse thrusters ended up, or at least pushing it back a bit and slapping some fuel tanks in there. Actually now that I look back at the original sketch I had a sort of thrust reverser system in there before which helped to mandate the shadow shields. I work the engines to incorporate that back in.
    Update, started cutting in the details on the cargo hull, may not keep that texture, still debating that.
    sen-trans-20.png
    front end is done
    sen-trans-21.png
    Some more progress and finished shots:
    More of the front end.
    sen-trans-23.png
    Adding in the fuel tanks.
    sen-trans-25.png
    sen-trans-26.png
    Reworking the engine section and adding in the plug nozzle with the cascade reverse thrusters.
    sen-trans-27.png
    Engine block detailed.
    sen-trans-28.png
    Finished.
    sen-trans-32.png
    sen-trans-31.png
    That's looking pretty sweet. Nice job. :thumb:
    Examples of how the ships can dock together. My computer protested rendering four or them docked together, so will get that later.
    sen-trans-33.png
    sen-trans-34.png
    In the book numerous ships will dock together at once, mandating a design capable of doing just that. I have played with ways to get up to a dozen to dock at once, at which point the computer yelled at me.
    Shameless plug:

Spiral War: In Death's Shadow is now live on Amazon Kindle. Continue the Spiral War Adventure as the cadets return to the academy and begin their Special Operations training.
    Attachment not found.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Shameless plug:

Spiral War: In Death's Shadow is now live on Amazon Kindle. Continue the Spiral War Adventure as the cadets return to the academy and begin their Special Operations training.
    Attachment not found.

I've been wanting to read that. :)
    grab all three
    Not entirely related, but something I have been working on, the pilot's wings for the Confederation. Silver wings are for Endo-Atmospheric pilots, Gold are for Exo-Atm, and the crossed pair are for trans-atm pilots. The various jewels (just a thought at this point) represent the types of Atmospheres the pilot is qualified in. The mottled onyx indicates ability to fly in nebula and other "stellar weather."

Original Doodles.
    20151103_110502.jpg
    20151103_104720.jpg
    20151103_104647.jpg
    20151103_152326.jpg

Renders/un-rendered
    wings-3.png
    wings-4.png

There is an additional azure ring that encircles the center if the pilot is hyperspace qualified, but I have not modeled that yet.
    Integrated the wings into the back cover of book 2.

back-cover-rear.png
    109813.png
    Some textures got fouled up in the test, but this is the first mockup of book 3's cover, characters are not my own and I will commission an artist to replace them with my own.

rw-rt-test-1.jpg

Hmm, not sure why it posted sideways,

fixed
    109829.jpg109830.jpg
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    I really like those ring ships Knight!

Those insignias, sort of remind me of the ones from Bab5. I like them.