Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMars Express

liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
edited October 2015 in Finished Work #1
Mars Express, nuclear engines with whipple shield.
109647.jpg
Post edited by liam887 on
JES
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's sweet. Great ship design and awesome image. :)
  • cool65cool65332 Posts: 29Member
    That is good, but problem is the nuclear engines has some danger radioactivity to crews. It much be use radioactivity shield around the nuclear engine and nozzles avoid from crews area. You may have redesign for safely reason for crews. :)
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    cool65 wrote: »
    That is good, but problem is the nuclear engines has some danger radioactivity to crews. It much be use radioactivity shield around the nuclear engine and nozzles avoid from crews area. You may have redesign for safely reason for crews. :)

Yes indeed, if you see the array type structures that flank the outside part of the engines, these structures absorb the harmful radioactive particles (somehow) and direct them to either flank of the ship.

I didn't really have a technical explanation of how that works I am afraid :-(
  • -=sAs=--=sAs=-336 Posts: 0Member
    Intresting design,seems nice to me!
    Seems to me after the ISS finnish in 2025-2030,reused those components in this ship :)
    Zvezda,Zarya,Quest...
    And +1 point to see bright future where the Roscosmos and Nasa work together! ;)
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    -=sAs=- wrote: »
    Intresting design,seems nice to me!
    Seems to me after the ISS finnish in 2025-2030,reused those components in this ship :)
    Zvezda,Zarya,Quest...
    And +1 point to see bright future where the Roscosmos and Nasa work together! ;)

Yes that was the backstory for the ship. At the ISS decommission lots of the larger parts have been refurbished. I have made an error technically re-using the oldest of the ISS's parts at which point they would be decades old however the Russian modules always have looked cooler than the rest of the ESA/NASA modules. Have taken a lot of liberties with the design ;-)

The ring section too is not a centrifugal crew section but houses the fuel for the engines. There is a centrifuge in the last module of the ship (part of the lander with the three decent engines).

Many years ago I did a project for WIRED magazine that involved making a lot of ISS components so they have had a spruce up for inclusion into this model (Russian modules & ISS main Truss is actually the cross beam).