Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS.S. Canticle, Federation Non-Starfleet ship

rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
edited December 2022 in Work in Progress #1
This is a sister ship to The S.S. Anthem. Both it and the Canticle are proofs of concept for various drive, weapons and material technologies.

For this ship I was wondering what would happen if they tried fusing hydrogen and anti-hydrogen (separately) then mixing the helium and anti-helium in the warp core.

Although it's a sister ship, only a few features will carry over from the Anthem. (Why bother doing a new ship if it looks like the last one?) This is the start on the port pylon and nacelle.

build0927a_thumb.jpg
109528.jpg
Post edited by rojren on
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Worked more on the nacelles. I put the bussard next to the nacelle, instead of at the front of it, because why not?.

I still don't really know what the rest of the ship will look like.

build0928a_thumb.jpg build0928a1_thumb.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good so far. Though, in answer to "why not?" there's this: Bussard collectors are used to draw in (collect) deuterium, aka heavy hydrogen, which is used to fuel the fusion generators that power the ship. By shrouding them the way you have, it would make it harder to use their collection function than if they are exposed in the front. Just food for thought.
    There's a clear shot through the split pylon for the magnetic fields to collect the hydrogen. The collector is to the side of the nacelle instead of sharing the same housing as the warp coils.

So... I wonder how effective bussard collectors would be with a lot of traffic over the years. How fast is interstellar hydrogen replaced? And could you even use such dangerously powerful systems in busy space lanes? I' d think you'd have to be careful with navigational deflectors as well. You wouldn't want to accidentally destroy someone's ship if it crossed your path.
    Space is so big and vast that the odds of just "happening upon" another vessel are actually quite slim. Besides, the long range sensors on Star Trek seem to be quite good at detecting most anything long before it's in range, so I don't think there would be much danger of accidentally blasting someone's ship with the nav deflector.

As for the bussard collectors, I think the general idea is that they just drop out of warp in a system with a hydrogen heavy gas giant or star and use the collectors near enough to it to collect the hydrogen. How quickly they need to replenish their deuterium tanks would likely depend on usage. If they're pushing their systems to the limit, they'll use more deuterium than if they're running in normal operations mode.
    Playing with a shape for the hull. I want to have a ball shape, but I may be going too far afield with it.

Whoops. I forgot to change the nav light color.

build0929c_thumb.jpg build0929c1_thumb.jpg
    Interesting shape for the main hull. :)
    Added a Enterprise refit era navigational deflector and a bridge complex. I accidentally the wrong visualization from the pulldown, and got a hand drawn look. I like the look so I kept it this time.

build1001a1_thumb.jpg
    Nice. I like your cutouts to incorporate the elements into the sphere.
  • ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
    I love NURBS.
    Well, it's solids, so I don't know what AutoCAD uses. I know it uses booleans when I subtract one shape from another, and solids can be converted to NURBS, but it never comes out and plainly says how solids are calculated.

Resized and moved the bridge complex, added impulse engines, and a large cargo door.

build1005x_thumb.jpg build1005x1_thumb.jpg
    Everything is looking good. I especially like the way you did the cargo doors.
  • Love the concept. Reminds me of the spherical ships, like the Daedalus. Keep up the awesome work!!
    Thank you, sivaspacemparabellum, and evil.

Added some details. One of these days I'll remember to leave guide geometry, so I won't have to re-make it when I'm placing details.

build1012x_thumb.jpg
    Guide geometry? The details are looking nice. :)
    Guide geometry?...:)

The centers and cutting planes and alignment thingies.

Added escape pods, and markings - some of which seem to have disappeared.

build1013x_thumb.jpg
    Looking good. :thumb:
    rojren wrote: »
    The centers and cutting planes and alignment thingies.

Ah, I see. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It looks advanced--like the Jellyfish
    Almost done. I need to fix a few things.

build1018x_thumb.jpg build1018x1_thumb.jpg build1018x2_thumb.jpg build1018x3_thumb.jpg
    Awesome. I really like the details, especially the ones in the cut-out sections on the side.
    This one's got a few bad angles. The front is really chunky looking. The marking on the side remind me of a paddle wheeler.

build1019x1_thumb.jpg build1019x2_thumb.jpg build1019x1a_thumb.jpg
    Realistically, anything with a large sphere shaped section like that is going to have its bad angles.
    Yeah... Well... I don't like it.

Backtracking and going with an ellipsoid.

build1020_thumb.jpg
    Dude, that's really slick looking. :)
    Thanks.

Started adding things.

build1024x_thumb.jpg
    Things are always good. :) I like this design a lot better than the first one. :thumb:
    Added colors (maybe too much), windows, hanger doors, and airlocks.

build1028x_thumb.jpg build1028x1_thumb.jpg
    The dark parts almost look transparent against the black background. Otherwise, I like the colors.
    I changed the dark blue areas one step less dark, and one step more purple. (Still too dark, though) Added more windows, phasers, and some markings.

build1031x_thumb.jpg
    Great job on the details. The blue is definitely coming along. :)
    Finished. I could add some stuff, but I'm not going to.

I like it a lot better than the first version, but still...

build1104x_thumb.jpg build1104x1_thumb.jpg build1104x2_thumb.jpg