Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBB-8

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Not much, but its a start, here we go :)
109263.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    And a quick one, just for fun ;)
    109264.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Wiz wrote: »

Epic. :cool:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    So, that's what R2-D2 would look like playing soccer. ;)

Good start on the droid. I think it's a cool little design. Plus, I'm highly impressed at the engineering behind the actual character built for the movie. He's not CGI. :)
    Thanks, and BB-8 is really growing on me, and the technology behind it is amazing!
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great so far. Is there any solid information on dimensions, or are you relying entirely on photos/videos at the moment?
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Awsome, and just think you can sell it to George Lucas when you're done.. you can grantee that when the movie comes out he'll be paying people to paint him out and replace him with a cgi version with a lightsaber.. and selling copies of the movie entitles episode 7 this is how i'd have done it :)

Joking aside good start :)
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Looking good Wiz, can't wait to see more!
    He's not CGI. :)

...except for the shots where he is. :)
    Thanks guys, and currently I am working to rough dimension (main sphere being 20 inches in diameter), and the rest is referencing photos etc. and someone has kindly posted a layout of the patterns on the body on the Facebook page Everything BB-8 which has proven to be very useful :)
    stonky wrote: »
    ...except for the shots where he is. :)

Obviously. ;) My point is that they actually built the little guy, which is incredible. In the prequel films, they would have just done him entirely CGI.
    A quick update, starting to cut out the panel patterns.
    109270.jpg
    A larger clearer shot :)
    109272.jpg
    Looking great. I like that you're texturing as you go. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, really good looking start to this. You do love your droids dontcha?

:thumb:
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    In the prequel films, they would have just done him entirely CGI.

You're probably right (and the CG R2 in ROTS was awful)!

Great work as always Wiz, really coming together nicely!

And yeah I do like a good droid ;)

The texture is currently a lo-res tester, working on the dirt and general wear and tear.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Have you ever thought of doing a 'how-to' video on modeling and texturing? I would love to see how you work and what your workflow is like. I would even pay to see it (and that is saying a lot because I am pretty much a cheap son-of-a-gun).
    How do :)

I have been approached in the past to do a paid tutorial, unfortunately due to the studio I work for and their rules I am not allowed (well not without a whole bunch of red tape etc. to go through) to do that type of external work (due to conflicts and a whole load or lawyer speak etc. etc. etc.) so I have had to decline :(

I can however post hints and tips, and the main thing I do which is a quick trick to get that nice ambient low level dirt and smooth things out (really ups the realistic level on my dirt etc.) is to do a quick pass of noise removal and then sharpen details and then noise removal again (which helps to achieve the brushed/wiped dirt look :)). I then tend to do a colour corrrection/grading pass, and then adjust lighting levels with curves (as a luminosity layer).

And roughness maps RULE! :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Wiz wrote: »

:lol:
    Oh dear!
    A little progress, R2 came over to check on how its going ;)
    109300.jpg
    It looks like R2 is contemplating kicking the ball. ;)

Looking great, bro. :thumb:
    Haha, Thanks matey :)
    Awesome as always.

:thumb:
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Wow. I didn't realize the BB-8 is that tiny. Thought it would have been bigger. Great job wiz.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Wow. I didn't realize the BB-8 is that tiny. Thought it would have been bigger. Great job wiz.

That's funny, I was thinking it looks a bit big, remember it has to have the head dome added yet. Have to check the Celebration Star Wars footage when they brought BB-8 and R2 on together with the rest of The Force Awakens cast. I seem to recall BB-8 looking considerably shorter than R2 if my memory serves me correctly. Need to track it down on Youtube to be sure.
    Yeah he is much shorter, I am trying to confirm the dimensions currently but I believe he is 20 inches in diameter (for the body section).