Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTIE Fighter tribute - Assault Gunboats returning home

ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
edited February 2019 in Finished Work #1
Hi guys, after about a 12 month hiatus from anything 3d related, fractalsponge's ever growing Star Wars WIP thread and a replay of the outstanding and recently re-released TIE Fighter game inspired me to finally get around to using the fantastic Assault Gunboat model he kindly shared with me a number of years ago. How time flies!

This is my first 4k render and, on deciding to go for that resolution after setting the scene up originally for 1920x1080, it took quite a lot of reworking to stand up to that sort of res. Not the models, mind you - they're phenomenally detailed. It was more the planet, that is a mix of custom textures and procedural maps.
Rendering at that sort of res also requires some re-working of certain elements such as the planet that just don't hold up at that size.

o29yw7yq6z8r.jpg

4K - JPG (~3.1 MB)
4K - PNG (~34.5 MB)
Post edited by Comco on
JES
Tagged:

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Someone was just taught an expensive and painful lesson :D
    Great job!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    AWESOME image! Ansel's models look freaking fantastic at that resolution. I really like your planet too. The setup and lighting are very nice.

There are definitely a lot of things to consider when doing a large render like that. Things that seem OK at "HD" resolution (1920 x 1080) need to be fixed when doing big renders. I did one at print resolution a few years back, (5K+) that was a big learning experience for me.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Awesome!

Lighting seems a bit "flat" on the ventral side of the ISD, but the composition is really nice.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Very nice!

-Ricky