Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNaboo Royal Barge (Attack Of The Clones)

moglijamesmoglijames81 Posts: 9Member
edited May 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone, longtime watcher , first time poster :P

I figured I would post something that I have been working on for a few days now

I always loved the look of the J-type Diplomatic Barge from Star Wars episode 2. The sleekness of the hull, and the four large engines that adorned the wings, it looked powerful. I was shocked that such a ship was destroyed in the first 2 minutes of the movie, and I wished that they had kept for a bit longer. I was delighted wile watching the Clone Wars series to see the ship make a return as Padme's transport.
ep2.jpg

After playing around with Maya for a while and making random vehicles I figured I would try my hand at the ship. I had tried once before and failed miserably, and tried once again recently and that was a bust, here it is :(
royal_cruiser1.png

So i did some studies and planning of the hull shape, and the topology.
Royalcruiser_plan.jpg

It has turned out so much better than trying to wing it.
Royalcruiser_redo.jpg
Royalcruiser_redo2.jpg
Royalcruiser_redo3.jpg
Royalcruiser_redo4.jpg

It has a closer appearance to what was featured in the film. There is still alot work to do such as the secondary engines, cockpit windows, fins, engine caps, landing gear, and hull seams.
This what I have got done for now, and very happy with how it is going :D

any feedback and advice is much appreciated
108750.jpg
108751.png
108752.jpg
108753.jpg
108754.jpg
108755.jpg
108756.jpg
Post edited by moglijames on
Tagged:

• bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    That's one of my favorite ships from the prequels too. Are you going to keep the chrome finish or experiment with different color schemes?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking really solid so far.

In general, I like Naboo designs, but this one is definitely top of the class, especially as the wholly chrome ships go. It's a shame it didn't last very long in the film. It looks better than the one they use later, when they go to Tatooine and Geonosis.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    I just feel sorry for VFX artist who had to figure out how to make a chrome ship visible against the blackness of space. Ha.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    ^Not that hard, you just fake the reflectivity and falloff curves until it looks good against a space background.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's some really nice work.

I second EG. ^^

Gotta say though, I really like the one Padme has in EpIII. Clearly designed by the same person that did Grievous' fighter, but so nice. (Even though I don't understand how you could get in the cockpit. xD )
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I just feel sorry for VFX artist who had to figure out how to make a chrome ship visible against the blackness of space. Ha.

I always feel sorry for the ones who spend time working on these great looking models that get such short amounts of screen time. You know this one took some time, because it had to stand up to a close camera pass. But, I guess that's all in the life of a professional CGI model maker. ;)
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    One of my favorite ships, too. Looking forward to see your progress.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It didn't last long, but it was the ship featured in the opening shot of that movie, and it got a great showcase in those graceful shots as it approached Coruscant. It was also a crucial plot point of the movie as it's destruction ably illustrated the fact that Amidala's life was in serious danger. So it didn't have much screen time, but it certainly made an impact with the time it did get. I agree it is a beautiful ship, and easily my favourite of the Naboo Royal cruisers.

Don't feel too sorry for the FX artists who worked on this model. Having a ship in your portfolio that joins an exclusive club with the classic Rebel Blockade Runner and Imperial Star Destroyer as being one of the small number of ships to open a Star Wars movie has got to be a career highlight no matter how short its resultant screen time.

Looking forward to seeing how this model develops, don't see enough models of Naboo ships out there.
  • moglijamesmoglijames81 Posts: 9Member
    I was able to attach the secondary engines and wings so far
    Barge1.jpg
    Barge2.jpg
    Barge3.jpg
    Barge4.jpg

I still need to smooth the hull some more, but she is looking good :)

also, I couldn't resist seeing how it would look chromed
    ship1.jpg

low quality, but you get the idea :)
    108765.jpg108766.jpg108767.jpg108768.jpg108769.jpg
    It's looking really good so far. The wireframe looks nice and pretty clean.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking great!
    So here is an update of the cruiser

I put the engine caps and fins on, and started the windows, i do want to model the cockpit since it will be visible :)
    Barge1.jpg
    Barge2.jpg

i also did some imitation camera angles
    EP2_scene.jpeg
    EP2_scene3.jpeg
    EP2_scene2.jpeg

There are a few minor things i need to weak on the base mesh, but its almost there :)
    108781.jpg108782.jpg108783.jpeg108784.jpeg108785.jpeg
    Looking great. :)
    nothing too fancy :)
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Great job on the naboo cruiser,

apart from the music they are the only thing i like about the prequels... now i've just been cleansed i've watched the new trailer a couple of times and a can happily put the prequels in a box and blast them out of the airlock of my memory... i'm not going to start a debate or rant about them.. they no longer exist to me.....

Cant wait to see more you're doing great, are you planning on doing the royal starship aswell? i know its a test but i'd say slow the speed down by at least half... this ship reminded me of a ww2 bomber when i first saw it.. slowly cracefully sailing past the camera... but listen to those engines boom... great ship..
    markmassey wrote: »
    Great job on the naboo cruiser,

apart from the music they are the only thing i like about the prequels... now i've just been cleansed i've watched the new trailer a couple of times and a can happily put the prequels in a box and blast them out of the airlock of my memory... i'm not going to start a debate or rant about them.. they no longer exist to me.....

Cant wait to see more you're doing great, are you planning on doing the royal starship aswell? i know its a test but i'd say slow the speed down by at least half... this ship reminded me of a ww2 bomber when i first saw it.. slowly cracefully sailing past the camera... but listen to those engines boom... great ship..

I had already modelled the Royal Starship , just not a very detailed version of it, i did as a warm up before starting the cruiser. I might try it again though, after I finish the cruiser of course :)

royal.jpg
    108813.jpg
    That would make a good game model. :)