Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpace Ship V1

BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone, My name is Derek and I am new to modeling 3d. I am getting the hang of it very quickly and I have a few pictures of my ship.

It may not be like yours but I'm modeling it my own way for a scene I want to do!

Scrnshotmain.jpg

('2
Scrnshotmain2.jpg

('3
Scrnshotmain3.jpg

('4
Painting and texureing process started.
Scrnshotpaint4..jpg

('5
Scrnshotpaint5..jpg

More to come!
Post edited by BigD on
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Nice start, but what kind of ship is it? From the looks of it, it is some kind of atmopsheric ground effect craft, not something for use in deep space. Those turbofan looking engines would create a horrid nose over pitch effect due to the imbalanced forces.
  • BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
    Knight, Thanks man. I am not sure yet right now I am thinking a USO Unidentified Submersible ship, They can do both space and water.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's really cool so far. I like your style. :)
    Thank you Man, I am struggling on the engine thrusters, I want to be able to open and shut the cone and make engine flare as a video I've saw earlier today on Youtube.
    Here is an update shot, I took the paint off while I add the fine detailing.

Scrnshotpaint6LandingGear..tif.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking really cool.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    What a funny little ship, i like it! The front end of the engines looks a bit naked imo.
    I like the new colour. Looking for updates :)
    Nice start on the landing gear. :)
    Thanks guys,

Here is a few shots of just the landing gear, nothing special yet...
    Scrnshotpaint7LandingGear..tif.tif.jpg

Scrnshotpaint8LandingGear..tif.tif.jpg

Chanur
    What would you suggest for the front sir?
    Looking good.
    BigD wrote: »
    Chanur What would you suggest for the front sir?
    Perhaps you should attach a cap to the center of the fan...
    Thanks man, I think You'll like this update on the engine. and its looking MEAN now...

EngineDone.tif.jpg

I am loving this modeling stuff its pretty damn sweet!
    Just the last update, its 90 percent modeled.

90percentdone.jpg

Next comes the worst part the texturing JOB!
    Yeah, I'll bet UV mapping that thing will be a nightmare.

Just a thought, but you may want to tone down and/or blur your reflections some. Unless you like that mirror finish, that is. ;)
    Way better now. But i have to agree to what e_g said about the reflections.
    Thanks guys, I erased the producal textures and learned how to really really texture, Here is a few screen shots of the texturing in cinema 4d.

Step 1.)
    Getting it ready for photoshop.
    StartedTexturing.jpg

Step 2.)
    Bring it into photo for fine detail texturing.
    D%27s-TextureScrnsht.jpg
    Cinema 4Ds automatic UV mapping is not the best, so often you will get better results by creating polygon groups manually before you project them to the map. You should experiment with the various projection methods to see, which ist the best choice for your particular polygon selection.
    Thank you Man, I cannot afford any other programs. This one was free with Adobe After FX....
    Ok why does it look better when you can texture the ship in the native program like in cinema?

Or what ever you guys then using some other program? I've used body paint & photohop

TextureTest.jpg

Test%2Btexture.jpg

Thanks

Big D
    That UV map reminds me of the ones Lightwave puts out. It's too many pieces and you're going to have seams everywhere. I have to use a plugin to get anything decent and even that can be problematic at times.
    Thank you man, What should I do then? I am trying to learn proper texturing, I really want my ship to be bad arse man.
    Thank you man, Here is a update. I got the landing gear to finish up and I am done modeling. I am going to take the other guys advice. I will just model what I need to get the look I want, lol!.

I've added more detailing to the hull as you can see and she looks a lot meaner.
    98percentdone.jpg
    I paint my textures in GIMP or PS Elements. You should get used to work with seperate layers for basic color, decals, dirtmap, bmp etc. wich makes it easier to do quick changes when necessary.
    Thank you Chanur, I've started to texture the ship with my own custom metal texture I've done in photoshop cc.

U.S.Ov.3.1.Custompaintedstarted.tif.jpg
    I'm not really sure there is such a thing as "proper" texturing. I think everybody more or less comes up with their own method. At least, I hope that's the case. :lol: (that's how I did it) Without knowing more about C4D and how its UV Mapping works, I really couldn't advise you.

Your mapping looks pretty good there. The dirt, grime, etc. is a bit heavy handed but, for all I know, that's how you want it to look. Ships that go through atmospheres will definitely get dirtier than craft that operate only in space will.
    Agreed! :)
    Thanks guys, I've finally sat down today started really working on her texture wise. and I am loving the way she looks, she looks really MEAN now.

U.S.Ov.3.tif.jpg
    It's looking pretty good. What's your texture resolution?
    You're on the right way!
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I swear this looks like something that should be in the Whedonverse. Really liking the textures, and those nacelles are great.