Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNEWVERSE: Terran Detachment Forces in orbit of Planet Odos

authormoreauauthormoreau2 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2015 in Finished Work #1
Hi guys. I suppose it's possible some of you might remember me. I used to be part of SFA way back in the day and was on SFM in the early days. I used to post a lot of original stuff for my Terran Imperium universe. Well, a lot has changed since then and I've created a sort of two-part story to the entire universe (Milky Way Galaxy and then the Pinwheel Galaxy) and have since just dubbed it NewVerse (it was a working title, but it kinda stuck).

In the last few years I've been writing scifi novels and have started several new series. I have yet to release the first book under the Terran Imperium/NewVerse stuff but I've got a few more: The Futureman Adventures, Rocket Riders of the 27th Century, and The Robert Carson Files.

The piece I present today comes from a ship I described in a short story (as yet unpublished). It was supposed to be in a time-period where humanity is under the wing of an ancient race known as the Aori. They have helped us branch out into space but have used us as enforcers for their vast empire. Odos is the first planet we annexed without their permission, so in the story they're not too happy about it.

tdf at odos.jpg
108251.jpg
Post edited by authormoreau on
JES
Tagged:

• authormoreauauthormoreau2 Posts: 0Member
    not even a single reply? was kinda hoping that original (non-ST/SW/BSG/SG/B5) stuff was now slightly more popular than when I left years ago. guess not :(

oh well. I'll keep working on my original stuff and posting it. hope you guys like it.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser366 Posts: 47Member
    Looks pretty good to me...

Would need to hear a bit more about the background before passing judgement on that though!
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    It can be difficult to get people to comment on original subjects. Sorry about that.

I do like the look of the ships, though wonder about the V shape hull... wouldn't a wedge be more efficient?
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I love the background, but the ships seem kind of...blah? The concept is good, though. Maybe it's the lighting on the ships or the fact you can tell there's not much detail to be had.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    I like the shape of those ships but with the actual lighting it's hard to make out any details.
    Maybe you should do some renders on a neutral background...
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands1 Posts: 0Member
    I only check the forum every couple of days, so some things pass by without my seeing them, this could have been one of those.

What I like:
    I like the background, very nice, and a nice addition of the planet. Definitely like the smaller ships lower in the atmosphere, it really helps to add a sense of depth to the image. Also like the ships towards the lower center right of the image, just barely visible as they pass to the dark side. Very nice touch having some more or less hidden detail in there.

Thoughts on improvements: The planet in the background seems a bit large. It may just be personal preference, but I'd consider shrinking it a bit to give a better since of scale (as it is, I'd think one of the planets would be ripped apart by the gravitational forces). The closest ship isn't quite detailed enough to really make a closeup like that work, at least, as others have said, the lack of detail/texture shows.

If possible, I'd blur the ships in the background ever so slightly so as to blend them with the background image a bit more.

Other than that it looks good. Much better than anything I could have done. Always interesting to see original designs.

Regards,

Sam
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I like original work.

The image is good and the ships have very dramatic lighting! Perhaps it is the distance, but it looks like the V-shaped ships have a lot of detailing along the sides, but I don't get a sense of scale from the bottom.