Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCole Class Destroyer

2»

• StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    i take it then the ship is basically immune to kinetic attacks at less than the 0.39c relative velocity then? certainly an interesting take on particle defence but a clever one and a way to impose a speed limit on your universe - i limited the ships in my story via fuel reserves, though the ships do have IDS since needed about 50g of acceleration - wanted to get places fast but not to fast - still wanted the solar system to feel a big place, but could certainly limit it further with acceptable limits of armour ablation.

take it the angelious is a huge ship?
  • RobRob0 Posts: 0Member
    Angelious is a fleet carrier designed for use by the PILOT program officers (neural linkage) i'll throw some stuff up later for it (not well atm) but yeah she's about 1km or so in length on kinetic yeap most items that hit you are going over .4c or are larger then the barriers where designed to handle (in terms of density) you fly your ship into an astroid for example at .38c it'll go 'boom' its relative density etc is far more then the barriers can handle..

hrm.. i think i have a quick block out (this is quick done was never finalised so its subject to major changes in the future heck the cole changed from what is in this after all lol)

confed001.png
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Looking good so far, a couple quick questions:

1) What are the round bit around the midsection? Both ships have them. Maybe I missed the explanation earlier. They just look like a major weak point, structurally and tactically, especially with how far they cut into the carrier's hull.

2) How did you come up with your crew numbers? If I might offer, the crew calculators are still up. V6 is easiest to use, but V5 does give you some more controls.
    Using the data your presented last page and without running any of the overrides and keeping this on a 3-shift crew rotation this is what I am coming up with for your crew numbers:
    destroyer-crew.png
    Much larger then your 72 man crew. Now, this can be brought down further, but getting it below 100 will be a challenge if you intend to run a full 3-shift rotation on the ship.
    Been ill so havne't been able to get back to doing a lot of this, between a fw other things. On the crew numbers. Most of the ships systems run Automated it's simply how Terran Systems run they believe in Automation over extra bodies. Marines are not taken into account in the crew numbers either.

The big one with most generic calculation items is they work great for rough numbering stuff but not for 'setting specific' items.. Because they don't take into account items such as Automation, Neural Linkage etc etc etc. I'll give a great example of it from something I've actually worked on where I don't have to worry about breaking NDA seems I no longer work for him or Bunine and haven't for 3 years in march.. Lets take Mr David Weber's Honorverse if you look at the Manticorian ships at the start of the Haven war their crews are about 2 - 3 x's the size they are by the end of the war for the same ship size and I'm not exaggerating there trust me I know the numbers and those numbers where vetted by some people with some very detailed knowledge on both modern surface and sub-surface ship operations.

For my own Turrets are not 'manned' you do not have people in any of the weapon turrets on that ship, you do have people in the main weapons but even there most of the loading equipment is automated the area's that use the most crew are engineering, command and maintence.

On larger ships the crew 'jumps' but technically the moment you allow Neural linkage in your setting you can reduce a crew to 1 if your willing to run with no 'tech support' per say.. why? Because Neural linked a person is the ship they react at the speed of thought and electrical signal processing.. you can't beat that.. the Cole I'll admit isn't designed that way but she does benefit from the systems developed to make that possible in other ships such as, as I've said Heavily Automated Systems over 'manned' systems..

Trust me it's not just a number picked out of thin air But if you want the Break down not including any Marines Currently stationed on the ship because Marines are Not considered a standing part of the ships compliment.

Officers:
    Captain, Execuitive Officer, Tactical Officer, Navigation Officer, Communications Officer, Engineering Officer
    Deputy Tactical, Deputy Communication, Deputy Navigation + 3 Ensigns Typically undergoing training for further specilization.

Crew:
    Engineering: 10 Staff Per Shift operating on 3 Shifts or 30 total.
    CIC/Tactical/Non weapons handling: 4 on 3 shifts or 12 total
    Weapon Crew: 4 on 3 shifts or 12 total
    Support Staff: 2 on 3 shifts or 6 total.
    Extra 1: Typically Captains Personal Aide.

When on Alert status all crew are on station you don't get to lay in your bunk on alert much like a Sailor in a Submarine is 'on duty' once an alert is called.
    Btw.. really like the Spiral War :) Well what I've had a chance to read
    Rob, I completely understand on the crew numbers, I just put that calculator together to help with some of the really bad numbers that used to come up on here all the time. It still needs refinement in some areas. I wonder if I should include an automaton/automated column on certain functions. I would appreciate any inputs you have to improve it.

ALso thanks for liking Spiral War, reviews are quite appreciated.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Rob,

This is a really fun project to watch. I like your manning on the ship too.

Knight26,

Adding automation would be good and actually already has real world applications. For instance, when Canada designed the Canadian Patrol Frigate we used a shit ton of automation and as a result had a crew of 240 where as on similar sized American ships that performed the same jobs the crews were usually along the size of 400+. It was all about automation because we did not have the population base or budget in the Navy to get that many people to man all the ships including 12 CPF's. Works great too. Sailed on and off for 12 years mostly on CPF's but on a couple of 280's as well when I was part of 443(MH) Sqn flying Sea Kings off the back of the boats.
    Hmm, which positions could be filled by automation? Will pose that question in the crew calculator thread, and start a list tomorrow.
    Hey Rob-

I like your logic on your crew and played with the crew calculator, adding levels of automation. At the fullest level of automation these are the crew numbers I came up with:

cole-crew-automated.png

Total: 85
    Officers: 16
    Enlisted: 69
    2 crew shifts with a rotating night shift.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Hey Rob-

I like your logic on your crew and played with the crew calculator, adding levels of automation. At the fullest level of automation these are the crew numbers I came up with:

cole-crew-automated.png

Total: 85
    Officers: 16
    Enlisted: 69
    2 crew shifts with a rotating night shift.

Nice obviously I can't easily lok at the numbers in there and sorry i've been slow as you know I've been a little busy and sick ;) feel free btw to throw this stuff at me over on FB as well if i don't answer in a timely manner. the areas you can actually get in real life a lot of automation is well technically everything lets face it you could make a ship that can be run by a single person but your not likely to do it on anything larger than a fighter because it becomes costly and we all know how bean counters work hehe.. a lot of the places I tend to find automation occuring is in places like weapons handling, fuel handling, etc. the numbers look a lot closer now to what I mapped out in my head. :) I'll try and get some updates up some time soon just yeah C-17 stuff's taking a bit of my time plus kidneys been giving me hell.
    Still slowly working on bits and peices like the thruster rigging here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_NXpJ-9Jo
    108491.jpg