Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars X-Wings over Coruscant - iRay

JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
edited December 2014 in Finished Work #1
Hello everyone! Back from the dead with one of many new iRay renders. I figured I would start off with this one. I converted the X-Wing and R2-D2 to 3dsmax and added iRay materials. X-Wings rendered in 16 seconds, then added the background in After Effects. Did a minor color correction on the X-Wings. Boosted the shadows a mids just a touch and added a slight purple tint.

Enjoy!

Xwings.jpg
107425.jpg
Post edited by JMoney on
JES
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The X-Wings look great. The planet maps, on the other hand, don't seem quite high enough quality for a closeup, making the planet look a bit poor in comparison to the ships.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    The X-Wings look great. The planet maps, on the other hand, don't seem quite high enough quality for a closeup, making the planet look a bit poor in comparison to the ships.

The planet picture is actually much higher resolution, but was blurred to simulate a DOF effect for this image. The foreground X-Wing is sharp, the one behind it slightly blurred, and the planet with a stronger blur. It's to draw your eye to the front X-Wing.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    a few points: firstly - fantastic job - lovin the x-wings!
    have you considered adding a touch of motion blur and some film-grain/noise? dirt and scratches on the ships, increase the saturation a bit on the xwing?
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    a few points: firstly - fantastic job - lovin the x-wings!
    have you considered adding a touch of motion blur and some film-grain/noise? dirt and scratches on the ships, increase the saturation a bit on the xwing?

Thank you!

I'm trying to stay away from film grain these days. Retrain my brain to not accept the film grain look anymore. I would also like to do the same with 24p and accept 48&60p, but I just can't do that yet! Too soon! :)

I think the X-Wing in the back could benefit from a little motion blur, but want to keep the front one sharp. I also agree about the color saturation. My one monitor is way more saturated than the other which sometimes throws me off. If I post an updated picture, I'll increase the saturation on the X-Wings.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    JMoney wrote: »
    Thank you!

I'm trying to stay away from film grain these days. Retrain my brain to not accept the film grain look anymore. I would also like to do the same with 24p and accept 48&60p, but I just can't do that yet! Too soon! :)

I think the X-Wing in the back could benefit from a little motion blur, but want to keep the front one sharp. I also agree about the color saturation. My one monitor is way more saturated than the other which sometimes throws me off. If I post an updated picture, I'll increase the saturation on the X-Wings.
    fiddle with depth of field a bit, if you can. The ship has a little bit of that 'toy' look to it. If you want to skip film grain, maybe run a dirt map over the textures. Even a well-maintained starfighter isn't gonna look factory new unless they repaint after every mission :p
    still, fantastic job!