Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarwars - Millennium Falcon conversion (Alain Rivard's model)

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2014 in Finished Work #1
Hi,

Al3d has very kindly let me use his fantastic Falcon model for some images (in the making ;)), this is first pass on the 3dsmax, iRay setup.

There are lots more detail to add to the shaders, also landing lights, and lighting in the cockpit but this model is holding up exceptionally well considering its up to 12 years old now.

So here is a quick test render to see how this beauty holds up with iRay.

Thanks again Alain for letting me use this :)

Hope you likes.

Wiz.
107370.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    12 years old or not, it's a fantastic mesh. It looks like it survived the conversion from Lightwave to Max pretty well. :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely, still one of the best ones out there :)

Yep all going over brilliantly (Al3d put a lot of details in the maps which is great), I am just adding a few simple roughness maps etc. to help with the aged matted paint look.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    id love to see threepio clutching the landing gear, hanging on for dear life as the falcon swoops into the sky....
    NoooooooOOO <gets horrible flashback to the factory scene from EPII> although I do have a fun image in mind to do with this which is not to far off ;)
    id love to see threepio clutching the landing gear, hanging on for dear life as the falcon swoops into the sky....

"Hurry up, Goldenrod, or you're going to be a permanent resident!"
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Wiz wrote: »
    NoooooooOOO <gets horrible flashback to the factory scene from EPII> although I do have a fun image in mind to do with this which is not to far off ;)
    Most of EP II wasn't bad, once you remove all the scenes with Hayden Christenson and Natalie Portman. :p
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great model and render Wiz.

Do you know if the model is available for general download? I am building a Falcon myself and would love to have something for reference in the areas where I don't have reference images. I hope to do mine also as a high detail mesh. Here is a link to what I have done so far. Al's (Tralfaz) Millennium Falcon
    Thanks matey.

I do not think this version is available for general download, and I know Al3d is updating this version currently (seen a snippet, hard to believe it but its getting even better :)).

Al3d may be able to point you to some great reference sources, although here is one I am aware off :-

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=42fcbd96e1f97d9b&id=42FCBD96E1F97D9B%21225&ithint=folder,.jpg&authkey=!AB1bHrNx1OmRSqo

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,

Wiz.
  • wibblewibble1149 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 517Member
    And of course there is this amazing page:

http://www.3dscifi.com/reference/starwars/MilleniumFalcon/index.html

But as unbelievable it may seem with all those pages there are always a few spots you never get reference for.

Sorry if I got too far of track, it just feels so good if I have to add something to a topic.
    I like your render. There surely is space for improvement, but I like it.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, not a bad start at all.

:thumb:

When I get some spare time (God knows when that'll be :argh:) I'd love to take a stab at this old girl.

On the subject of reference, if you've got a few spare notes floating around you could do worse than to pick up a copy of some of the Star Wars giant coffee table art books (Such as the old Art of... books, The Star Wars Chronicles, etc) they have stacks of archive photos of the props and models, and with key items like the Falcon you're treated to numerous sumptuous high resolution photos, with close up detail shots as well as overview shots (Lorne Peterson's Sculpting A Galaxy is an awesome example of this {Just check out what came with the deluxe edition:

Sculpting_a_Galaxy.jpg

Scuplting-A-Galaxy_1_2pa-1.jpg
    :argh:} with photos of the models that get right in there, I'm sure with a view to being useful as a reference guide for budding modelers) . Let me know what area you're having trouble with and I'll see if I can find a picture of it. This was my main source of reference when I was working on the Star Wars mod First Strike rather than Google images when I was looking for details on a ship or other asset, and by that I mean all these art books rather than just Lorne Peterson's but that certainly was a welcome addition to the collection.
    107374.jpg107375.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Thanks Wiz. Those images are amazing. Downloading and saving them right now.

Wibble, when I try to access the link, I get server not found error message. Will try again a bit later to see if that makes a difference.

[edit]
    Wibble, I sorted out my problem and downloaded the images from your link as well. Another great find. There were two http: in the link. I went into view page source, found where the link was and copy and pasted it (with just one http:) into the address bar and everything was golden after that.
    [/edit]

Seeing a lot of errors in my current mesh and it is making me think about starting all over again. Might be able to salvage some of it, but the more I look at the images, I'm not sure. Would like this to be a super detailed and accurate model.
    The amount of times I have done that Tralfaz, started a model, and then found some better reference that contradicts what I have done ;) good luck matey and looking forward to seeing it progress.

@Wibble; there is always room for improvement, and I am eager to learn and improve; outside of finishing details where would you say the improvements lie?

Wiz.
    Well, you said it yourself: it's just a test render and they naturally aren't supposed to be perfect. I didn't mean to say anything else. Adding detail to the shaders, landing lights, and lighting in the cockpit covers it up I guess. Other than that I find it a bit too bright and yellowish at the moment but thats all.

@ Tralfaz: Thanks. I fixed the link, just in case somebody else want to take a look. Glad you found it useful.
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I am pausing the work on this for the moment, as Al3d is doing an update which is looking great, so will do more work when he is done :)
    Remember when I said I would leave this for a while... I lied :P (Can't help myself :)).

Another shot, I painted the background and attempted to achieve a pseudo painted look with Alain's Falcon :)

Hope you likes :)
    107395.jpg
    It's interesting. Not really my style. Though, it looks like some kind of lunch box art, or something along those lines, from back in the day.
    Wiz wrote: »
    Remember when I said I would leave this for a while... I lied :P (Can't help myself :)).

Gee, who didn't see that coming? :p
    :lol:

I was kinda aiming for something that wouldnt be a miss on this type of poster, so the lunch box art is pretty much my goal ;)

https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce6184e4b0d911b4496c96/1274737192977/1000w/zz2fd41fd6-550x814.jpg
    When I said too yellow I didn't mean make it purple and green.:)
    Honestly, I like this eccentric look.
    :lol: thanks matey :)

Wanted to use colours not normally seen or associated with Starwars imagery so went a bit Star Trekky ;)
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    That first render is amazing! Truly looks like a shot from the Lucasfilm archives of the filming model. The iRay skills are strong with this one! :thumb:
    Thanks matey, iRay gave me a great canvas (of an amazing model), however photoshop also did a lot towards it to bring out the details and colours etc. to get that studio look :)