Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Internal Workings of JJ Enterprise's bussards...???

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
I'm trying to figure out the internal workings of the bussards... there's so much motion blur, etc. in most of the shots it's hard to see exactly how the bussard works... and the internal lighting as well.

10830508_823562481037353_4369171398928908042_o.jpg

I would be grateful for any assistance.
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Tagged:

• BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Check out MKF's thread. His bussards come fairly close to the JJ bussards, modelling wise that is. If you want to know HOW they work, you can check out any bussard collector that has revolving blades on the inside :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Check out MKF's thread. His bussards come fairly close to the JJ bussards, modelling wise that is. If you want to know HOW they work, you can check out any bussard collector that has revolving blades on the inside :)

The structure I have. I'm using Nightfever's JJ Enterprise, it's the lighting setup, etc. that I'm trying to figure out.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9797 Posts: 5,323Member
    My internals are not much like the real ones as most of my crap is based on the trailer. The paragrafix parts come close though . Also the internals I think are different between the films. The best shots are in the first film too just a bunch of blue crap. Really as not much in print or not pulled from the film is out there of the studio ship so we are all working with the same refs.

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/assets/images/paragrafix/starj/parastarj02.jpg
    Best guts is if you can find the image of the internals rendered out for the Art book. I do not have my scanner so I cant get the image. I think Al3d had them spot on for his model so if you can find WIP of that it should do much better than the book.

Look for the warp out at vulcan as the ship rolls you have a clear view of the bussards moving and the dim blue glow. According tot he art book it was suppose to have a field effect with a border glow like what Vektor had done on his reboot connie. I do not know when or what circumstances this was intended though. I mimicked it with a AO shader and lum shaders to get it to follow the creases or corners of the surfaces. It is a real hog for renders though. UGh the search function and "all threads started by" option is crippled here as it is onyl RECENT so I cannot find the images of Vektor's so you'll have to dig for them.
    Ah
    http://www.vektorvisual.com/3dwips/TOS-Ent-Mod/wip_031.jpg
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=58313&page=6

During the blackhole scene it is just like a large bright photometric light was used but likely not normal. But in the ID intro they glow like mad so dunno. ID as well when the enterprise is fleeing and being chased down there are a few decent stills that show a bright cyan glow on the bussard "glass" with a strong cyan back lighting.

id-bussards.jpg?w=600

oh man I hate the image shortcut UI here. . .
    Anyhow you can sort of see it here and it flickers and moves about the surface along with the back glow. The bussards are really amped up in ID vs the first film.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Yea, I ripped the Into Darkness BD onto my computer, so I can pull stills from it.

Seems like they get really bright when going to or at warp, but dim when not at warp.

10714134_824047887655479_8708460866071920835_o.jpg

I'm not so much concerned by the internal structure in terms of physically, but rather the lighting set up, how lights are placed, etc. to create the effects we see. :)

They did change the look of a lot in ID. A lot of the lighting that had this greenish hue in 2009, has a more blue appearance in ID.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9797 Posts: 5,323Member
    To me the first film it was a more colbalt blue then it ramped and blew out to white in the blackhole scene. ID there is always a glow ST it was lights out black when not under power. Internal config matters as with things being lit.
    As for how it is arranged like I said it looks like a single photometric behind all the gubbins with a shader effect using lum (well in max Mental ray or vray you would have to use lum.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    To me the first film it was a more colbalt blue then it ramped and blew out to white in the blackhole scene. ID there is always a glow ST it was lights out black when not under power. Internal config matters as with things being lit.
    As for how it is arranged like I said it looks like a single photometric behind all the gubbins with a shader effect using lum (well in max Mental ray or vray you would have to use lum.

I have a question, since I believe you use 3ds max... how exactly would you do a light from a curved source, such as the back 3 light sources on the top of the nacelle area thing?

Like here:

star-trek-into-darkness-hd-0254.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro