Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWildstar

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
edited November 2014 in Work in Progress #1
This is something I started on a few days ago. It started off as me wanting to do a Star Trek ship that was a Federation vessel but not a Starfleet vessel. However, as I started designing it, I decided it would work as an original project, rather than a Trek project. Sure, there are a few Trek influences, but itA’s hard to not be influenced by any of the major Sci-Fi franchises and styles when designing something.

Anyway, itA’s basically a large shuttle. ItA’s 45 meters long, 44.6 meters wide and 12.8 meters tall. It has 3 decks and probably a small crew. Other than that, I donA’t have many details worked out, beyond the name: Wildstar.

ws_build01.jpg?w=500

ws_build02.jpg?w=500

ws_build03.jpg?w=500

ws_build04.jpg?w=500
107272.jpg
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2428 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,996Member
    I like most of it. The nacelle caps just don't work for me. I also think the front windows would look better moved forward. And the paneling and markings on the engine pylons make then look a bit stretched in the front 3/4 view.

Other than that, quite nice.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. The pods are probably going to get completely redone, since people apparently think those are engines. (they're not)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Nice design and well crafted. I have to admit that I also thought the pods were engines.
    Thanks Al. Once I post my next update, they'll look a lot less like engines. ;)
    Slight changes here and there. I modified the pods on the end of the wings and added some vertical fins.

ws_build05.jpg?w=500

ws_build06.jpg?w=500

ws_build07.jpg?w=500

ws_build08.jpg?w=500
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Trek influence? Where? :p

I like it. So uhm... where are the engines?
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I like it. So uhm... where are the engines?

They won't be installed until Tuesday.
    OK, I’ll admit it. The ship I was working on resembles a Star Trek ship. In fact, I’ll probably eventually slap some Trek-style nacelles on that and do some other Trek-style details. It can be a big runabout, or something along those lines.

Meanwhile, I started on a new design today. Prior to doing the shuttle thing, I was thinking of doing a design along these lines. So, I made it so. Apart from being a different design, this one is also larger. It’s 112.8 meters long, 52 meters wide and almost 52 meters tall. Though, it will gain more height once I add more structures to the top.

ws02_build01.jpg?w=500

ws02_build02.jpg?w=500

ws02_build03.jpg?w=500

ws02_build04.jpg?w=500
    Interesting. Looks good.
    Makes me think "Ironclad".
  • StarriggerStarrigger476 Posts: 702Member
    rojren wrote: »

I was thinking of the Fhloston Paradise from "The Fifth Element"

Cool design!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thanks a lot, guys. Hm, I forgot about Fhloston Paradise. I'll take it, I love that movie and that ship.
    rojren wrote: »

I don't know that one.
    Ironclad as in the Civil War ship, CSS Virginia.
    Oh, that Ironclad. Wow, now I feel like a moron. :shiner:

I was thinking maybe Ironclad was some Sci-Fi movie or series I hadn't seen, or something along those lines. ;)
    Unfortunately, I made a rookie mistake with this design. One of the things to consider when designing a space ship is how does your crew get on and off the ship? I have hatches planned, which will come in handy when the ship docks at something like a space station. However, I have no plans to give the ship the ability to land. Due to the way I designed the hull, it would require some really long rear landing gear. Plus, it would probably have to have some kind of long boarding ramp. It’s jut not practical. Of course, in some Sci-Fi (Star Trek, Blake’s 7, etc.) have some kind of matter transporter, or teleporter. Of course, this is good from a TV show budget sense, as using an effect like that is cheaper than shuttling the crew from place to place. Plus, it’s cool tech. Though, even if you have that kind of tech, you still need some kind of landing craft, as they had on Star Trek. And, indeed, we saw several Star Trek episodes where the transporters weren’t working for some reason or another, so they used shuttles. (except in “The Enemy Within,” where it would have made a lot of sense) Anyway, I don’t plan to have that kind of tech in my universe.

So, I decided to give the ship a landing bay. However, since I didn’t plan for it, I had to redo the paneling somewhere to fit it in. I chose the underside, since it required less work to redo the paneling there and because I could add a bay without breaking the upper hull design. My first thought was to do an inset with some doors inside it. Those doors would open into a bay. However, the only part of the underside that is curved enough is too far forward to put a bay forward of it, due to the shape of the front of the hull. So, I decided to add a structure to the bottom. This structure not only gives the underside ample room for a bay, but it also increases the ship’s internal space. So, the ship has a landing bay now for support craft.

ws02_build05.jpg?w=500

ws02_build06.jpg?w=500

ws02_build07.jpg?w=500

ws02_build08.jpg?w=500
    OK, this should do it for the final design. All I need to do now is detail it. :)

ws02_build09.jpg?w=500

ws02_build10.jpg?w=500

ws02_build11.jpg?w=500

ws02_build12.jpg?w=500

ws02_build13.jpg?w=500
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I like this design, it is certainly interesting, but I'm not that sure about that last detail you've added to the top, I think it could work, but I think you need to do something about the pylon that leads up to it so it looks a little more integrated into the design, it looks a little tacked on at the moment if you know what I mean? I think you need to add some details that make it look more like it flows more naturally from the topside of the hull into the pylon. Perhaps have the pylon shape echo the pointed iron like shape of the rest of the ship? Or something along those lines.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the more I look at that top bit, the more I hate it. I'm thinking of nixing it altogether and redoing the structure underneath. I was originally thinking that could be some kind of sensor and/or communications tower, but I think I'll just do something else.
    I decided to start detailing the ship with the “wheelhouse.” I figure it’s the ship’s main reactor, or something along those lines. Insert some BS Sci-Fi-ish explanation as to why it can’t be covered. ;) Also, I got rid of the stupid looking tower thing on the top of the ship.

ws02_build16.jpg?w=500

ws02_build17.jpg?w=500
    Looking good. Why would the reactor be at the side, though? Maybe you could put some big guns on there instead, similar to what naval ships have. How big is this thing?

Also, that mesh at the beginning of this thread looks like it could be a Romulan Runabout. Maybe with a couple of styling changes.
    Because that's where I decided the reactor goes. :lol: It goes all the way through the ship, so it's not really on the side.

It's 112.8 meters long, 52 wide and I forget how tall after I removed that tower. I haven't even decided yet if it's going to have guns.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice details on the reactor, that design could work pretty well for the inside of an engine bell as well as for an end of a reactor. I noticed you removed the tower from the top but i would suggest you should put something (as in a medium sized feature, i know you will be putting small ones on there later, i'm just talking about a big one around which to base them) on the top just to avoid having it too blank up there.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've got to figure out something for the top of the ship. I just knew that the security camera had to go. ;)
    I redid the top part of the ship. I gave it more of a slope towards the front of the ship and added a thinner deck above. I also gave the ship a dorsal fin. I figure it’s a solar energy collector.

ws02_build18.jpg?w=500

ws02_build19.jpg?w=500

ws02_build20.jpg?w=500
    Now all you need is a nebula and it can be Space Jaws. :p

Those tweaks make quite an improvement. It's coming along nicely.
  • Hunter GHunter G1925 Posts: 544Member
    This is looking awesome my friend! Especially those details. ;)
    Thanks a lot. I'm hoping to have some time to work on it more tomorrow.