Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVortex' Star Wars Thread

Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
edited May 2015 in Work in Progress #1
I've been on a bit of a Star Wars kick lately, rather than have multiple threads running, I figured I'd contain any Star Wars stuff to one thread. So;

First, something old:

knight_saber_06_by_vortex5972-d85llvc.jpg

knight_saber_07_by_vortex5972-d85llwg.jpg

knight_saber_08_by_vortex5972-d85llx6.jpg

knight_saber_09_by_vortex5972-d85llxu.jpg

knight_saber_10_by_vortex5972-d85llyg.jpg

And now for something new.

I was browsing DeviantArt, as I do and came across these two pictures:

http://aleselene.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Malice-333784659?q=favby%3AVortex5972%2F58239067&qo=29

http://aleselene.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Malice-333785407

The lightsaber intrigued me, so I decided to try and built one based on it. I started it last night and did most of the work this afternoon. Really liking where this one's going so far, though I'm not sold on the pommel yet. Haven't changed it though as I'm trying to keep close-ish to the inspiration. I'm not finished with this one, yet. Still need to decide what to do with the control box and also add a covertec clip.

lightsaber_by_vortex5972-d85u97r.jpg

lightsaber1_by_vortex5972-d85u98h.jpg

lightsaber3_by_vortex5972-d85u99c.jpg

Other Star Wars stuff I'd like to do at somepoint include the Delta 7 and ETA2 Jedi Starfighters and the Jedi Temple. Please feel free to post any references, particularly sizes etc.
Post edited by Vortex5972 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks good so far. That's probably a hilt somebody made in their garage. One of these days, I want to build one.

For those ships and the temple, your best bet is Google Image Search. Sorry, but SW references can be a bitch to find, so it's best to just start searching and see what you can find. Though, one place to look for cool refs is the site of Ryan Church, who did a lot of the design work for the last two films:

http://ryanchurch.com/star-wars-ii/
    http://ryanchurch.com/star-wars-iii/

I didn't see anything for the Delta-7 on there (somebody else may have designed that one) but the ETA-2 is definitely in his SWIII gallery. For size info and further images, there's always Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delta-7_Aethersprite-class_light_interceptor
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delta-7B
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Temple
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Thanks on all accounts. I've built this one with "solid" components, so I could render it in pieces if I want. (I have started to build my idea of what a Jedi room at the Temple would look like.)

I have been scouring google, but any ortho's I have been able to find have been either low quality or inaccurate. Or both.
    I didn't even know there were any orthos for these ships, unless they were done by fans. For the older stuff, you can maybe find scans from the old "Vehicles" books, if the ship you want was included. Event though those can suffer from accuracy issues, it's better than nothing. However, I think all of those are too old to have the prequel stuff in them.
    They're definitely fan ortho's. It looks like it's mostly going to have to be eyeballed. I do have the toy versions I could use a a vague reference, but we all know what toys are like for accuracy. :p
    It's been a while since I posted anything, and since I'm not ready to show off the Trek ship I've been working on, I decided to resurrect this thread instead. For some unknowable reason, I've been on a Star Wars high the past couple of weeks. Here's one I started on Friday:

wyldstar_saber1_by_vortex5972-d8s9jyo.jpg
    I like it. It's a nice mix of the original trilogy and prequel trilogy styles.

I've been on a SW kick too, I think it's all of the stuff coming out about the upcoming films. I've never done a SW ship, it may be time to do something about that. :)
    Thankyou, it's blending all of Obi-Wan's together. My fave character, so not surprising there. xD

That could be what it is. The new trailer is the first to get me wanting to go to a cinema since 2009. It looks to be a great film and I love that they're doing as much as possible as practical effects.

Yes, do a SW ship. I plan on doing one eventually. Those things have a lot of detail.
    I'm thinking of doing a small ship, kind of a "warm up" to get me into the universe. I may do the Moldy Crow, from Dark Forces. It's a bit less of a greeble fest than some of the others. ;)
    Good call. A lot of the prequel ships are rather smooth, especially the Naboo stuff.
    The N1 Starfighter would be fun to do...
    Always did like that fighter, though I favour the Jedi ones. I look forward to seeing your take on it. :p
    A little work done on this today. Broke the hilt down a bit to subsurf some parts and built some detail for the emitter.

wyldstar_saber2_by_vortex5972-d8suvti.jpg

wyldstar_saber3_by_vortex5972-d8suvv3.jpg

wyldstar_saber4_by_vortex5972-d8suvws.jpg
    Looking good. :)
    Thanks. How's your N-1 coming along? :p
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Thanks. How's your N-1 coming along? :p

I never said I was going to build that. Besides, usually when I say I'm thinking of working on other stuff, I wind up doing Star Trek. You do the math. :p
    I know that problem too well. Already had another two ideas for ships this weekend. xD
    I found this the other day http://slightlywarped.com/?p=5244 and the B-Wing pictures got me really wanting to do something with that cockpit. The original idea was to throw in some inspiration of the Y and A wings as well, but that's not quite what has ended up happening. xD A little more Jedi fighter got in there than intended, but I like it, so it's staying. Current size is:

X - 9m 94.1cm
    Y - 11m 93cm
    Z - 3m 26.8cm

wyldstar_fighter_by_vortex5972-d8tpe3y.jpg[/QUOTE]

wyldstar_fighter1_by_vortex5972-d8tpe47.jpg[/QUOTE]
    That's really cool so far. It could be a "sister ship" or successor to the ETA-2. :)
    Thanks. Maybe it could be the New Jedi Order's fighter.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Thanks. Maybe it could be the New Jedi Order's fighter.

I was thinking along those lines too. :)
    A little more work done.

wyldstar_fighter2_by_vortex5972-d8tuuzs.jpg

wyldstar_fighter3_by_vortex5972-d8tuv0b.jpg

wyldstar_fighter4_by_vortex5972-d8tuv0p.jpg

wyldstar_fighter5_by_vortex5972-d8tuviy.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Like where you're going with this, a bit reminiscent of the starfighter uglies that you used to see in EU (not a crit on the aesthetics of the ship, just the EU term for ships scrapped together from parts of various different ships, a TIE Fighter ball cockpit with X-Wing engines and wings for example), which may well be your intention. The Y-Wing style pylons behind the engines look a little too small in proportion to the engine pods though. Personally I think you need to make them larger so they're around the same width as the band in the middle of the engine to make them look more substantial. Be interesting to see where this goes.

:thumb:
    Thanks, Talon. I never really got into the EU. There are a couple of books that I like and I really enjoyed the Clone Wars, especially when that really found itself. I don't mind that it was cancelled, it was only intended for 5 series in the first place, but they were just getting really interesting again. They should have at least been able to wrap it up properly. Still waiting for Rebels to hit the UK blu-ray department.

I have seen some of the "uglies" and rather like a few.

Anyway; good call on the engine pylon thingies. I didn't want them to big, so I'm made a compromise that I'm rather liking. Rebuild the front end of the main module and started detailing the underside a little. Trying to base that on the ETA-2, but there aren't any decent shots of the underside details. Still need to figure out where to put the droid, probably similar to the X-Wing.

wyldstar_fighter6_by_vortex5972-d8tynlp.jpg

wyldstar_fighter7_by_vortex5972-d8tynm1.jpg

wyldstar_fighter8_by_vortex5972-d8tynmm.jpg

wyldstar_fighter9_by_vortex5972-d8tynmy.jpg

wyldstar_fighter10_by_vortex5972-d8tynn6.jpg

wyldstar_fighter11_by_vortex5972-d8tynnn.jpg
    The ship is looking really good so far. :thumb:

Clone Wars (the TV show) isn't part of the EU, it's part of SW Canon. I never got much into the EU either. I like some of the books that take place after the movies, but I haven't read most of them. However, I love Old Republic stuff. Anything that happens long before the movies is cool to me. Unfortunately, there's not as much of it. Rebels was OK. Unfortunately, it runs on Disney XD in the US on a really weird schedule, and I kept forgetting to record it. I finally just gave up. I may check it out once it hits Blu-Ray also.
    Loving how this is developing, almost looks like a post GCW era engineer picked up some reference on the Old Republic Jedi Starfighters and decided to cobble together a tribute fighter design out of whatever parts he could lay his hands on.

Vortex, Evil, if you liked The Clone Wars show (still can't get the last season of that on dvd in the UK yet, bizarrely), but were disappointed with it getting cancelled and haven't checked out Star Wars: Rebels yet, do so now. It starts off quite generically, but gets much better as the series goes on, and just check out the trailer for season two and you'll see that The Clone Wars show might not be quite as dead as you might think, amongst other surprises.

Thanks guys. :)

I've seen Spark of Rebellion, it was rather good. I've heard good things about the series and the next one looks awesome. I always considered anything outside of the movies to be EU by default. xD
    I've actually hardly seen any Clone Wars. I don't even think I had the Cartoon Network during any of its run. However, I've got the movie and a few episodes on DVD, it's not bad. Rebels is pretty decent, I've seen the first 8 or so episodes. My problem is when Disney XD runs them and the frequency with which they do (or don't) have new episodes paired with my inability to remember to record the show. So, I've missed a bunch of them. What I saw, I liked, though the Disney style artwork isn't the best. (the main kid literally looks like Aladdin) I especially hate how they made a lot of the characters, especially the aliens, look more "cute" to try and make kids happy. Ugh. But, despite all of that, it's not a bad show. I just need to sometime watch all of them without being on the stupid schedule on which Disney XD runs them, so that I can get the ones I've missed.

The big rule on SW Canon: Anything shown in movies or on TV is canon, most everything else is "legends." (EU) AKA, they "Trekked" us. "We made it or at least had a say in it, it counts. If it was licensed and we had no real control over it, it doesn't count." :rolleyes:

Basically, LucasFilm/Disney wanted the people making the upcoming movies to not be tied to the ten billion hours of reading, game playing and whatever else that makes up the EU. Also, they want something that people who only know Star Wars from the films to be able to walk into and enjoy. It really does make sense.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I never had any interest in watching SW Cartoons or animated shows. Some of it looks like fantastic work, but not my cup of tea :).
    The Clone Wars starts out very much on the kiddy side of things, and the animation isn't the best, but it's great being able to watch them improve episode by episode. It did become a really strong show and I loved the art style from series 3.5 onwards. I've seen the pilot for Rebels and that's kinda cool. Oh, and I've got the Lego movies on DVD, because Lego, lol. I also love how they take the piss out of Star Wars as well. Great stuff.

Anyway, done some work on this today.

wyldstar_fighter12_by_vortex5972-d8uk10m.jpg

wyldstar_fighter13_by_vortex5972-d8uk111.jpg

wyldstar_fighter14_by_vortex5972-d8uk11i.jpg

wyldstar_fighter15_by_vortex5972-d8uk12a.jpg
    Really liking that last render, details on this are really coming together nicely.