Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Excelsior Study Model (Named USS Xavier)

calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 370Member
edited November 2014 in Work in Progress #1
During the making of the Star Trek III movie, the production designers built several study models of the USS Excelsior to show to the director, Leonard Nimoy. He chose a design that we are now familiar with. This model based on one of the study models that was not chosen. There is only one picture of this particular concept (shown with the model) and I have made several modifications. Firstly, I have completely redesigned the secondary hull into a more squared of version of the Excelsior type. Secondly, I have made the warp engines the same basic shape, but I have added grilles that are intended to look like an step in between those of the Enterprise refit and the Oberth class. Thirdly, I have thickened the pylons into sturdier versions and added impulse engines to the rear and the neck sections. I have also added several hull details seen on the final Excelsior model, such as the RCS thrusters and ventral saucer sensor dome. I have also added several phaser turrets strategically around the vessel and forward and aft torpedo tubes to provide an effective arc of fire. The registry comes from the 'Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!' written by Praetor on the TrekBBS chat boards. As he writes:

"The initial design, SV-20A, completed in 2268, was quite unconventional in design. It featured a saucer-shaped primary hull in line with a flattened, stepped engineering section. A horizontal A“wingA” supported four twin warp nacelles, two mounted above and two mounted below each at the end of the wing. Warp power would have been provided by a horizontal intermix chamber. Impulse engines were mounted aft, between warp nacelle pylons. The warp nacelles looked radically unique but were nearly the same size as those that would be installed aboard the refit Enterprise. The ship also featured an unconventional navigation deflector A“podA” mounted on the ventral side of the engineering hull."

uss_excelsior_study_model__named_uss_xavier__by_calamitysi-d817m6m.jpg

This is the picture of the original study model which I used to create the model:
Excelsior_Class_4-engine_original_concept_designs_by_Nilo_Rodis_bis.jpg
107059.jpg
Post edited by calamity_si on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Huh. The first four-engine design in Star Trek?
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 370Member
    Jenny wrote: »
    Huh. The first four-engine design in Star Trek?

Actually, it may be! Although it's not technically canon, Praetor's 'Excelsior Technical Manual" goes on to mention the following:
    "While the transwarp criteria introduced the next year would ultimately prompt designers to pursue a more conventional design direction, Starfleet was still very interested in the previous design work done, and asked Dr. Tokogawa to hand over his designs for use on a number of other projects. SV-20B itself served as inspiration for the design of the SV-19 Constellation Class Deep Space Cruiser project that was in work. The Constellation team would seize the promising four-nacelle configuration as its direction. With further work, the final design would see first production as U.S.S. Constellation, NX-1974, in 2284."
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804584 Posts: 11,182Member
    That's really cool. Great work on the model, your modifications make it look more "canon." I really like the recreated shot from Star Trek III.

As I'm sure you know, the Excelsior study models actually made it into a few TNG episodes where they had "graveyard" scenes. This particular model was definitely in a few scenes of the Zakdorn Salvage Depot in Unification, Pt. 1.
    That's really cool. Great work on the model, your modifications make it look more "canon." I really like the recreated shot from Star Trek III.

As I'm sure you know, the Excelsior study models actually made it into a few TNG episodes where they had "graveyard" scenes. This particular model was definitely in a few scenes of the Zakdorn Salvage Depot in Unification, Pt. 1.

Thanks Evil_G! Yep, I've researched this model extensively as part of the background work on it. Mainly, I was trying to find more pictures of the original study model. (As it happens only one other shot of it exists as part of it's auctioning off...and even then it was missing two of it's warp engines). It's amazing the interesting tid-bits of background info you find out on these things- like the one you mentioned. Did you know that there was another 4 nacelled study model variant that also made it into the junk yard scene and that it was jokingly referred to as the 'Alka-selsior' by the production staff? I almost named this one the same name, but I thought 'Xavier' sounded a bit like 'Excelsior' and was way cooler sounding.
    I like the name. I've used it before too, though mostly because I'm an X-Men fan.

I don't recall hearing that about the nickname, but it's funny.
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    Please do an orthographic view
    Yep, I'm on it mate. It's just taking ages to render!
    I'm working on a nice big poster of this ship at the moment which will show some orthos and angled views. However, the process has not been without it's faults and some of the rendered images, for one reason or another, haven't made it to the final cut. One of them was still usable though, so I've added a nice background of it with a shuttlecraft and presented it here.

USS XAVIER orbit.jpg
    107076.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Very exceptional design improvisation Calamity.
    Saquist wrote: »
    Very exceptional design improvisation Calamity.

Thanks Saquist, always great to hear from you mate! Yeah I had fun on this one. I only had that original prop photo to work from and wanted to make sure that my final model looked as close to the original as possible from the top down. Luckily, if you put a parallel dorsal shot of this one next to the prop photo, they both look almost identical (apart from the nacelle details). It's really the underside that had the most bugs that needed to be worked out, but like I said, it was a great design conundrum to sort through.
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    Looks great Simon!
    Starship wrote: »
    Looks great Simon!

Hey, thanks Starship. It's always great to hear from the old gang when I return here after my long breaks!
    Actually, Starship, if I remember correctly, weren't you working on an Excelsior prototype of your own not so long ago? I'd love to see that rendered someday...
    Hi all, ok here's the big ortho poster I've been working on over the last few days. It's way too big to post here, but follow the link to my deviantart page and you'll see it. http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/279/3/a/uss_xavier_ortho_poster_by_calamitysi-d81ty47.jpg
    It's nice seeing it from different angles. Though, if I may make a suggestion, you may want to up the resolution on your textures. They're a bit blurry.
    Thanks for the tip Evil_G, I'll try. :-)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    This is coming along really well. So, are there three decks in the saucer rim? If so, and this is just my opinion, the windows seem a bit cluttered. The rest of the ship is looking great and with some higher resolution textures will be awesome. I especially love the rear three quarter view you posted...looks mean. :)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    An odd point, but I think the symmetry of the warp nacelles is working against you. It's obvious from the orthos that the vertical separation from the "wing" is the same both above and below. However, from the front, with the partial concealment provided by the saucer, it appears as if the lower nacelles are hanging down too far.

You might want to pull them up a tad (say no more than 20% of the length from the wing, maybe even just 1/6th) and see how they look from the front.

Otherwise, while it's an odd design you're doing a cool job with it. I LOVE the nacelle design themselves.
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    This is coming along really well. So, are there three decks in the saucer rim? If so, and this is just my opinion, the windows seem a bit cluttered. The rest of the ship is looking great and with some higher resolution textures will be awesome. I especially love the rear three quarter view you posted...looks mean. :)

Thanks Schimpfy, tbh, I wasn't entirely happy with those saucer windows either but you know how it is when you've been working on one of these things for ages, and you're not sure if it's just your eyes being funny if there is a genuine problem? That's why I like to get second opinions like yours on these forums. Now that someone else has confirmed that they're not quite right, I will get round to fixing them eventually...perhaps after a wee bit of a break.
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    An odd point, but I think the symmetry of the warp nacelles is working against you. It's obvious from the orthos that the vertical separation from the "wing" is the same both above and below. However, from the front, with the partial concealment provided by the saucer, it appears as if the lower nacelles are hanging down too far.

You might want to pull them up a tad (say no more than 20% of the length from the wing, maybe even just 1/6th) and see how they look from the front.

Otherwise, while it's an odd design you're doing a cool job with it. I LOVE the nacelle design themselves.

Thanks Sanderlee, yeah the top nacelles are just on the tip of the saucer line from the front point of view. The only problem with your suggestion is that if I only adjust the upper or lower pair, then it would look off from the aft angle (as one set of pylons would definately be longer than the others. I did try lengthening both sets of pylons at one point, but tbh, they both looked too high. Here's the real geekiness for you, I did actually check the 'official' ruling on the ex astris scientia website about warp engine design. They are as follows:

Rule #1 Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs. (Check)
    Rule #2 Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull. (Check)
    Rule #3 Both warp nacelles must be fully visible from the front. (Check...only just for the top pair)
    Rule #4 The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull. (Check)
    Link:http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/design.htm

Sorry, I'm sure you didn't expect such a lengthy response, but there it is lol.
    Sanderlee wrote: »

Thanks, they're essentially the same size and shape as the original study model. I just added the vents and detailing which I thought added that nice 'intermediary' touch between the refit connie and the oberth class.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    I am looking forward to seeing more.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    I am looking forward to seeing more.

Me too. MOAR!
  • nukenuke171 Posts: 0Member
    Seeing your pics of it, she actually looks like a nice ship.